1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap neck thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharpie555, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    Hi, I have been playing bass for about a year and am looking to buy my second bass(My first was a cheap ibanez i bought off a friend). Based on what ive heard and read, i would really like a neck-thru bass, but i don't have a lot to spend. Does anyone know of any cheaper neck-thru options? i have about $500 to spend. Also, im fine with a used bass, as i could probably get more for the price, but it would really help if i had some specific basses to look for.

On side note, i have been looking at a peavey grind, but i understand the quality of those is very inconsistent, i don't live in a very populated area, and there are not any of that bass to try in either of the 2 music stores within driving distance, is it safe to order one from musiciansfriend, or will i get stuck with a lemon?

any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance for any advice

2. jrock357mag

jrock357mag

Nov 29, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    For that price you might want to look for a used Carvin, like an LB7, you should be able to find one for a decent prize used. Carvin basses arent the top of the line but they make a good bass with good electronics for the money, the only problem is that they dont really hold their value for some reason. Also I wouldnt really limit yourself to basses that are neckthrough only, there are plenty of bolt on's that I would take over a neckthrough...IMO Good luck in your search

3. Yamaha BB's from the 80's are great - BB1200, BB3000

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    might look at esp also

5. Schecter Studio or Stiletto..Peavey cirrus bxp

6. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    i've got a nice brawley i'd be willing to get rid of. pm me if you're interested. if you're not interested in mine, i'd try and find one locally. alot of bass for the money.

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't know if you want a 4 or 5 string, but either way the list would be much, much longer if you'd consider bolt-on models. Unless you're worried about upper-neck access, I'd really consider this. The difference in sound and sustain you'll achieve by getting a neck through will be negligible--although I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

If you're set on a neck through in that price range I'd look at a used Peavey Cirrus BXP for about $450 on e-bay before a grind . Don't know many other neck-throughs in that price range. Maybe a used Carvin.

I've not ordered anything through MF, so I can't comment on that.

8. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    In the lower range of neck-throughs, there's the ESP LTD B-254. I just picked one up new for $300 at Sam Ash. It's got a string-through body/string-through bridge design and EMG-HZ Pickups, a 3-band Active EQ, black chrome hardware, etc. The best thing about it is the neck and the tone is quite good. It comes with a pretty crappy set of strings, but that easily rectified. Like I said, it's towards the low end of spectrum, but it's affordable. Might be worth plugging one in if you get near a Sam Ash.

A used Carvin (as jrock357Mag suggested) or Hohner can be a nice pickup as well.

Good Luck.

9. I received a GC mailer this weekend that has an Ibanez SRX4EX1BK (CG exclusive) neck thru four string bass for $449.99. It might be worth looking into.

And

+1 on the used Carvin LB20 (passive) or LB70 (active) basses. Great quality for reasonable prices. Even if you end up swapping out the pups.

10. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    Schecters or ESP have some good NTs around that price

11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The best low end neck through I've played was a Cort A5. Probably the most comfortable bass I've ever played.

Dan

12. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    i have a peavey cirrus bxp and it is quite nice for the price, and ive played through many peavey grinds and that bass plays quite nice, a very funky bright rough sound from it..schecter is also a very nice brand

13. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Look in the classified here. There's a Cirrus BXP with upgraded pre for $420.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
  15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    You can probably get into a used Spector NS-2A for right around $400 and upgrade it with real EMG pups for maybe another $100 used, $160 new. Cheap in price only- they're pretty doggone good basses if you're not concerned about the country of manufacture.

16. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    how about a washburn T24?

17. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Definitely buy used!
    Don't limit yourself to neck-thru's - I did that for years, and now all my working basses are bolt-ons...

18. Hohner 'B' Bass - IV or V?

19. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I've got a neck thru that I don't play. its a bc rich heritage classic mockingbird, it has one flaw, a hole in one of the fret markers. other than that it looks brand new. They are 600 at GC and MF, I'll sell mine for 300 plus shipping. PM me if you are interested

20. +1 used and replace the stock EMG Select pickups

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021