1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap no-name eBay basses? Yea? Nay? (Hollowbody/Chinese import content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Dec 30, 2011.

1. I know this is probably related to the many threads about Chinese generic imports, except none of these are even branded, and they're certainly not knockoffs (not specific knockoffs, anyway), but they've got to be of Chinese manufacture based on the price.

I'm not affiliated with any of these sellers, but does anyone have experience with these? Specifically the hollow/semihollow bodies they're selling? I mean, the Ibanez Artcores and Allen Woodys (I know, it's technically chambered) were still twice as much, even used.

200 bucks for a playable hollowbody? I can't believe it. I needed to crowdsource my disbelief. They've been up for a while, they seem to move a small number of them (looks like a limited number of importers/sellers wither in Texas or SF, depending on the listing, but most of the basses look pretty much the same)..

Dunno.. but let's not turn this into a country-bashing thread. I just want to know if anyone has ACTUALLY played any of these basses or their like. I have nothing against China or other 'cost-effective' countries, obviously - I own an iPod, so, go figure.. I just find it hard to believe a playable semihollow can be had for so cheap, though our guitarist had a knocked up Teisco from the 70s (MIJ) that might not have played great but SOUNDED freaking awesome, no joke (plugged in direct to an amp, just a standard practice room kind of amp, maybe a Marshall half-stack, solid state - nothing fancy.). Blew my mind.

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've been curious as well ....

Knowing the basic quality of the SX stuff for such cheap money I would guess it is possible that these semi-hollow's could be playable. Likely the same sort of issues as the SX's, I would guess as well; lower end tuners, cheap bridges, lousy strings, passable elctronics.

Maybe someone with some real life experience will chime in :)

3. kombi

kombi

Jan 3, 2011
    Germany
    I can't say anything about your eBay bass, sorry, but to be honest, what can go wrong for 200$? I would just make sure that you can easily replace the spare parts (pickups, tuner, etc. ...) in case you don't like the stock ones.

A bit offtopic: The chinese can build high quality products aswell! But if you pay them crap they will work crap. Good and bad instruments (or other products) come from every country. For example: I played a vintage Fender Jazz Bass (that would definitely go for a few grand here) once for an evening and didn't like at all. My 600$ korean rickenfacker plays like a dream! I also really like Squier. But that's just me...

4. Johnston

Johnston

Jun 5, 2010
    N. Ireland
    Quite Simply a Lottery.

I've been talking to a factory who build the same sort of Basses you say to build some for me. They build for some of the bigger names. And using similar spec. Basically if you are willing to pay the minimum order you can buy get your name on etc.

Some of the other factories are building identical looking basses much lower price but also advertise other goods with Brand names that don't get made in China. Some stuff looking decidedly iffy in places.

Basically you pays your money and takes your choice hoping the dealer has imported from one of the better ones.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I have not, but I too am curious. I've been itching for a hollowbody to defret, toss a piezo pickup and nylon strings on to emulate an upright.

6. If you have the money to spend, why not try it? I remember around 5 years ago you could get a "ltd esp" type of bass for less than $100 shipped. Wish I would have jumped on one then

7. You have to almost always be cautious when doing the whole eBay route. I typically try to stay way from the whole overseas bass copy market, but that is just me. It's really a gamble and you hope the person selling is equally honest as you are.

8. mantrabass

mantrabass

Sep 16, 2011
    Reading, PA
    I've played a couple no-names and they usually all feel the same. Lifeless. But occasionally you come across a couple that are worth their weight in gold. Most recently purchased an SX, and although branded, it's yet another imported copy. I'm sure if they're up to par with the SX brand, you're in luck!

9. kombi

kombi

Jan 3, 2011
    Germany
    Put your own life in it! :)