Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap oddball basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squeegeebrown, May 2, 2002.

1. Be gentle, it's my first thread. The well documented love of high end basses by many TB'ers has set me to wondering. Do any of you enjoy playing cheap oddball basses?? I play an Egmond(made in holland) from the 60's and it has an amazing tone in that skinny lil' package. Also I have a no name copy of a Gibson EB3 that is great as well. I love the funkiness and flexibility of tones...Well???!!!

2. I went to a used music shop in Nasheville a while back. Almost every single bass was a copy off of either an Ibanez (SR), Fender Jazz and Precision, or an ESP. I don't think there was one major name brand company (such as Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, Rickenbacker, etc.) in that shop. Nearly everything was a rip-off of some other model or brand of instrument. I picked up a couple different J copies and P copies (they all looked exactly the same, but had different price tags) and boy did they suck! :p Horrible action, pickups, neck, controls, cable-jack....you name the piece, these basses had the cheapest kinds they could find.
    I still shudder as I think of them. :( ;)

3. Oddball basses are Schweeeet!

Check out my website for my $55 eBay oddball find. It'll be the one you've never heard of before.:D

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cheap oddballs can be fun to play but it's hard to find one that truly can be used for ANYTHING the way something like a P-Bass can.

At the very least if it can't be played in tune or produce a clear, powerful tone across the entire neck then it's relegated to "special purpose" use as far as I'm concerned.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TB, squeegee!!!

If you get a roll out of playing cheap mangled, basses, (+/- $300), - check eBay periodically for Steve Wishnevsky's mutants.

If your rotting garage fell down or if you were throwing away a wooden toilet seat made from diseased wood, he would probably make a cheap bass out of it that defies many accepted lutherie principles. Oddly, he uses EMG's on these atrocities.

Here's an example typical Wishnevsky -

[​IMG]

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ryan! Make Rick stop! Make it stoooop!

7. I vote for Reverend, too. It is my main bass along with my MIJ fretless Jazz Bass. The Reverend Rumblefish XL that I have is an incredible instrument that sound techs love. I got it used for $365, shipped with a gigbag; quite the deal for a low production USA made bass. Really, underneath the art-deco drag, it is a Jazz Bass with a different spin.

8. thanks for all the feedback. I've never played a reverend but from a purely physical standpoint i do lust after them.

9. Is it just me, or is every Wishnevsky I see worse than the last one? I have half a mind to buy one just so I can proudly say "I play Wishnevsky basses." Has anyone played one yet?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a couple of oddballs, an Electra-Westone fretless and a Westone headless Steinberger copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Danelectro! I have a DC bass, and a prototype Hodad guitar *great guitar, flamed maple neck, owned by a local luthier, so it has a GREAT setup, and I got it for $99 used!*

They also make a Great practice bass amp *gets great distortion/overdrive for guitar or bass

Some of the pedals are nice too *daddy o overdrive, cool cat chorus*

12. I came across some Guild Ashbory re-issue basses on Ebay earlier this evening. I think they're the very definition of cheap and oddball. Hell, the body is barely bigger than the headstock. I'd never seen them before, but I would imagine some people here might be familiar with them. They look like they might actually be worth the couple of hundred bucks they were asking for them (I think the "buy it now" price was like $ 225.00). Anyone here actually own and play one of these things?

13. I have never owned an Ashbory but I have played them a lot. They are the ultimate one trick pony. They have an 18' acale length and are fretless. With the floppy silicone strings, they are designed to emulate the sound of an upright and they do it very, very well. That's all they do, though.

14. Rickbass, I love that wishnevsky!!! Has anyone played his basses?? Man oh man!!!

15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Even in these times when I feel disillusioned, I finally find myself a bit less ridiculous with my 4003, when I see that Wishthing.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Get help. Get professional help. Get help now.

:eek:

;)

:D

17. Since I bought my Ric I've become too tone addicted to appreciate cheap basses like I used to. I still tend to pick up the oddball '60s and '70s imports when I walk into a music store before anything else though. I love my Univox Hi-flyer (Mosrite clone). Its sound is much too limiting for any serious use. I think one of these days I'm going to send it to a luthier to have the neck reworked and at the same time have better electrics installed.

The nice thing about the Hi-flyer is that I can set it on fire and not freak out about it afterwards.