CHeaP overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, May 1, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm thinking about getting a cheap (<$40) pedal to add some fuzz/crunch to my sound (when needed), which means i won't be paying enough for something specifically designed for bass. Do some eat less low end than others? I'm thinking about getting a Danelectro Pastrami as it is 20 dollars.
  2. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Theirs a rogue overdrive on musiciansfriend for 15 $.
  3. I don't reccomend those cheap Danelectro and Rogue pedals. Those are made very cheaply, hence the price is cheap. I know a guy who bought one of those $20 dano pedals and it broke within days. the build is terrible. I'm sure the same goes with the Rogue pedal since its even cheaper.
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    do the lower priced (30-40) boss & dod overdrives work ok for bass? I'm staying away from guitar distortion(as opposed to overdrive, which i assume wouldn't mess with the tone too much) pedals because i tried my guitarists' Fab tone and the low end was gone.
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Look around on Ebay for a used Boss ODB3. They sometimes go for the $40 range if you look and bid carefully.

6. if you can find a BOSS OBD-3 for $40 on ebay would be a better deal. ALOT better of a deal.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just used the Boss Overdrive pedal this weekend in a gig situation. That thing rocks! I have not tried any other pedals yet, but for my money, that one is the shiznit! You can look for a used one or buy a new one from a place like Musician's Friend ( or American Musical Supply ( for about $70. A DOD will cost about $60.

Keep this in mind: If you buy something cheap, you'll get something cheap.