Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap packages around $200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poof, Mar 16, 2005.

1. poof

poof

Sep 28, 2004
    Hey, I'm looking for a bass + amp for about $250. I'm mostly interested in jazz. I'm going to start playing double bass, but until my school rents one out to me my teacher said to start on an electric bass. He said i would be able to find one around this price, but Ive looked and I'm pretty lost. Is it cheaper to buy the bass and amp separately? Do I even need an amp if I'm just going to be playing in my room? What kinds of basses and amps should/could i get for around this total price?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What I would suggest you start off on, is getting an SX bass, and finding a small amp that'll suit you for bedroom playing*. I'm sure other people will suggest other things though. Welcome to the low end, enjoy your stay.

Ray

*= if you're 100% SURE that you'll ONLY need it for bedroom playing, a small combo will suit you find. Check the classifieds here, and eBay for one that'll be in your price range. If you have any doubts though about needing to be louder, I'd seriously suggest you save your pennies and wait until you can afford a bigger combo, or head/cab setup. Just my $0.02!

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, it wont meet your $250 price tag, but a good starter bass is an Ibanez GSR200, for about $200-220. You might at small behringer amps at maybe musician's friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519677/

that's not a bad deal either really.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519713/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480683/

Those two things together is the route id take, even over the well priced package above.

4. poof

poof

Sep 28, 2004
    Thanks for the help. I was looking into what you guys recommended, and I came across http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62qmdredsb.html . As far as I can tell from all of the reviews, it seems to give a lot of bang for its buck. Coupled with an amp like the one Juneau mentioned, would this be a nice bass to buy? Also, would it be fine to buy the bass online, or is it better to go to the local guitar center and buy it there?

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats the SX bass that Ray mentioned. Yeah its a great starter bass from what I gather from many threads very similar to this one in the past. And yeah, online is usually fine, especially from Musician's Friend or Rondo.

6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    If you buy online make sure there is a guarentee or something that if you don't like it you can ship it back.
    Going local you can try before you buy, find something that is comfortable to you.

BTW, just so you know, a jazz bass isn't necessarily made for jazz. It's the body style. A jazz bass has that body style with the two j pickups. While a precision bass or pbass have a particular body style and the p pickup. If Fender ever trademarks those body styles then you will see some interesting things happen in the industry.

However, for jazz style of music and what you are doing a jazz bass is a good place to start :)

Also check out pawn shops. If you look for useds basses you sorta have to know what to look for. If I was to get a used bass again I'd look for straight neck, no cracks, works. I picked up a Squire PBass for $100 used. Some dings in the body, no biggie. The neck is fairly straight. There's a small crack in the headstock, but that's not causing any issues so far. It isn't getting worse :) I just needed to replace the strings and tweak it. Sounds pretty good, easy to play.
    For am amp I've been trying to get the local pawn shop guy to come down in price on a peavey minx 110. He wants full price for it. It's obviously used and an older model. I've been trying to talk him down over time. For now I use my home theater system or a headphone amp I made.

Frankly, I like to try before I buy. I may try a bass at a local spot then order the same model online.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    SX basses seem to be pretty hip around here, and not just for beginners from what I can glean. I'd say go for that before an Ibanez. Ibanez basses just feel dirty to me.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have the 3TS version of the QMD - beautiful stuff, plays execellent - go for it.

as for an amp, always check out used...

9. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    By far the wisest choice at your price level. With a bit of luck you might even find a used Made in Mexico Fender P or J in your price range.

You can practice on it without an amp for a while.

10. poof

poof

Sep 28, 2004
    where do i look for used amps?

11. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I dont want to start something (or maybe i do) but my experience with SX has not been good. I bought one use (here) and cannot get in tune. i gave it to my lead guitarist, who has many years of experience with instruments, does everthing himself (within reason), and he gave it back. He could not get it to intonate. A pro setup is $60 at my local place, and the guitar was $100.
    Otherwise it was very nice. It gave me the inspiration to get a real P bass and for that i will be forever grateful.