Cheap PBass that has the sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flatwoundfender, Feb 24, 2005.

1. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    For the past few years I've been playing a 82 reissue of 61 pbass that belongs to my dad. The bass is an awesome bass and has the sound. Next year I'm off to college and I'll be staying in the dorms and my dad doesn't want the bass in the dorms, which is understandable. I'm looking for a sub $500 dollar bass that can thats at least close in feel and sound. I've tried the MIM fender pbass and they seem really cheap and just don't even get close. I also use heavy gauge flatwound strings 55g and 105 on the e so I need something with a strong neck. The sound I'm going for is the blues sound. duck dunn that kind of stuff heavy on the bass.

any ideas?
  2. I resurrected an old abandoned beat-up redheaded stepchild of a bass...A Yamaha RBX250...IT SOUNDED FANTASTIC!!!

Get thee a Yamaha! They don't make RBX250's anymore...but they still make the RBX series basses...check them out...
  3. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    is the neck on those yamahas jazz or pbass style I prefer the wider neck
  4. johnetrotter

Feb 22, 2005
    i've heard good things about the Tokai Hardpuncher basses
  5. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A 4 string p copy. I don't have much time on an actual fender 'p' but mine has a much wider neck compared to my Carvin lb70p. I am using the same flats you like and also put a seymour duncan 1/4 lb pup in that really woke this bass up. I don't know if fernandes makes a p copy anymore but I consider it a reputable brand have have not had one issue in my 8 years of owning it. The neck is rock solid. Low action and I never have to adjust it, ever.
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    SX. Can't beat em for the price. :D
  7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'd agree with the SX idea - I've heard some excellent feedback particularly by one guy who bought it as a studio bass. Some don't even feel the need to upgrade the pups as they had expected to.
  8. +1
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

SX made in China, Korea or where?
  10. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    +1 here