1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap pedal for subtile tube Overdrive? Bad monkey vs. DOD 250 ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, May 9, 2006.

1. hi!

While my ODB-3 is my distortion unit and a little big muff will be my Fuzz I'm looking for a not too expencieve unit that provides me a growly tube like sound. I have my eyes on the digitech bad monkey and the DOD Preamp 250.

Has anyone of you got soundsamples of these pedals or could you recommend me some other which are not too expencieve.. please tell me!

thanks very much
    :hyper:

2. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Ive had both pedals (bad monkey/dod 250) and the one ive kept is the DOD 250, to me it sounds warmer then the digitech and its why i kept it

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    either the dod or an older Marshall guv'nor will do the job

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Just to toss out the other side, I had both as well. I kept the Bad Monkey because it carried the low end better with my equipment. Although I did like the sound of the DoD a little better.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I had the Bad Monkey for 24 hours. I returned it asap. Sucked all the low end out. When I dialed up the low end on the unit it sounded like garbage. I now run a Sans amp into the MXR M80. Unbelievable tone and grit (as much or as little as you want).

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Valid points, but that stuff isn't exactly in the same weight class.

7. hi again..

what do you think of the Boss SD1 Super Overdrive. boss say it should be a quite tube like OD. has anyone tried one and any experiences?? any info would be apprechiated! thank you

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want tube overdrive, get a tube amp.

9. haha, I have one, a Mesa 400+ but I need it clean and at some times I want it to distort a little, for this purpose I want a pedal, that punches it a little without increasing the volume. And I thought an analog tubey one would do that better than something else...

:)

10. yup...heres my experience...

warm tubey sound, not as gritty as id like it to be, but still natural sounding to my ears
    low end retention? this pedal will get u lost in the mix instantly unless u run a clean blend or 2nd amp

11. I love the DOD 250. Its a really nice warm overdrive that responds almost as if it had tubes in it. No noticable low end loss, my only gripe is that there is no LED to tell you when its on/off, and on a loud stage it can be hard to tell (I have it set quite subtle).

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Behringer BDI21 does mild overdrive...the SVT setting sounds good to my ears and they're $30 in the US (shipping included).

13. bump :bag:

which one would be better for grunge-ish type modern music?

14. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    if you get one from analogman its true bypass and with a yellow, green or red LED.

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The MXR Distortion+ is a very similar circuit and has an LED indicator in it. It's a great little pedal. I had one a while back, sold it and now I'm considering picking up a new one. It costs a little more than the DOD, though. Good luck.

16. for those that have had the bad monkey, how well does it keep the low end?

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, what were they thinking when they designed the DOD without an LED? :eyebrow:
    It does sound good at mild settings, but there is some noticeable low end loss when you bump up the gain, I don't use mine much.

18. its one of the few guitar effects ive used on bass that translates very badly. amazing guitar pedal, quite poor on bass although using it with something else to boost the bass might be interesting. ive also heard of a mod to make it usable on bass but i dont know much about it. i love it but its not for bass really.