cheap pedals/copies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basst scho, Aug 18, 2017.

1. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    i´m just browsing for compressors and found this exact same thing with 3 different brandings:

Gitarre-Bass Kompressor Compressor | eBay

Compressor Pedal Ultimate Comp Dynamics Guitar Effect Pedal True Bypass for Bass | eBay

Guitar Bass Accessories Compressor Ultimate Dynamics Effects Pedal Super Smooth | eBay

does anyone have experience with this kind of pedals?
    are they worth a try?

i contacted the seller from the first link, as he´s 10 minutes away from me. perhaps i can try one out.

just want to hear some opinions as i don´t know what to make of this

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    IME these types of pedals are usually pretty decent. I would say get the one you can find the cheapest and see how you like. They def aren't anything like an MXR or Cali comp, but for the money, you could be very pleased.

Also, the reason why they are varied in price so much, I would think, is because these are cheap pedals made in China and Japan and places like that and they are spread to online retailers around the world for that expressed purpose, to sell cheaper pedals to players. This is the golden age of effects and I think it's mainly just those companies trying to capitalize on that. Maybe?

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I couldn't decide which compressor to get, so I picked up a cheap one from Amazon in the mean time.

It is an Amoon compressor, which is a rehoused Joyous, which is a copy of...

You get the picture.

Is it great, well probably not, but given my limited experience with compressor pedals, it works and will guide me in the direction of what I am missing.

4. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    yeah i think i get one, 39 bucks is reeally cheap anyway. if it does its job, then great if not, f*'§ it.

if the guy answers my e-mail and i can come by to get it, i can probably try one of the basses he builds

G-Bass

...damn, i dont need a bass, but that thing looks and sounds nice, imo...

5. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    ah, he even has a demo video of the pedal

stupid noob question: is the noise when tone and volume are turned wide open on expensive compressors too, or is this what you get for going supercheap? (don´t really have any reference, just know the comp-simulations on the zoom b1on...)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Compression works by making loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder. And when you make quiet sounds louder, the noise floor also gets turned up. Same with EQ...any time you turn up a certain frequency range, you turn up its noise floor. The noise floor can vary wildly due to whatever you're putting into it and the compressor's own quality of circuitry. It's not always related to what you pay for it, but it does seem that in general, the more expensive ones are quieter. And in general, pedal comps are usually the noisiest because they're the most cheaply built. But I've seen some extremely well-loved cheaper comps that are quite noisy. In a mix, you can't hear the noise anyway, and some noisy and cheap compressors have a very cool way about them that the expensive ones don't nail.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021