cheap pick-ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frenske, May 16, 2002.

1. Well, please don't laugh I have a squier Jazz Bass and I'm not all pleased with the sound the bass produces. :rolleyes: Because I'm a student I have not that much money to buy me a better Bass, but I enough money too improve the Bass. I've heard that using EMG pick ups improves the squier a lot.
    Is this true and which "cheap" pick-up (also different brand) I could use?

2. For great quality in the lower price range I'd say DiMarzio Model J or in the higher price ranger Bartolini 9S or 9J#1
  3. I say go for the Seymore Duncan Vintage Js. I love their sound, and at $50 each they are semi-cheap. They also come in Q-pounder and Hot versions, all are $50, if I am not too mistaken.

Rock on
  4. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I recommend DiMarzios.

They can really help make the most bland sounding bass come to life.

They are not really cheap, but it could be worse.

Another plus is that even with one PU selected you will get no hum since they are actually 2 coils.

6. I bought a matched set of DiMarzio Model J from Musician's Friend for $100 including tax and shipping. MF had the best price I could find on the Internet. These are going into my MIM J fretless with J-Retro.

The Model J are ballzy for sure, plus they can be wired to a DPDT switch for series or parallel operation same as my RB5. Each is a true humbucker with side-by-side pair of coils. One coil for E-A, the other for D-G strings.
  7. I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups on my MIM Jazz fretless and have been looking at the Seymour Duncan/Basslines range. It could be a while before I get the upgrade pups - let me know how you get on!
  8. Hi Frenske,
    I notice you live in Holland so I MUST mention a store you should definately check out before making any modifications to your bass. Paul's Bassmatters is the ultimate bass store in the Netherlands and they will be able to advice you on the best options for a modification. They might well have some second-hand stuff, that could be really usefull!