Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Power Amp on ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Anyone have some experience with these?

Click Here For Amp Info
    I am going to go power/pre setup, and am wondering if power amps are like "the more you spend the better they are".

Anywho, give me the down low on power amps. Are the more expensive ones better?

Pete

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i wouldn't do it .
    i think you'd be better off buying QSC , Crest , or Stewart power amps. that dosen't look like a bass power amp .
    the ratings look funny too...900watt@8 ohm { 2 x 250 } dosen't sound right to me ... check out www.northernsoundandlight.com
    i purchased a QSC RMX2450 for less than that one.. :cool:

edit: oops , sorry , i meant to say, i purchased mine for less than the listed RETAIL price of the Pyramid model...
    RMX = 2450watts bridged , very reliable power amp .

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm... never heard of Pyramid before, or of anyone's experiences with them...

I would stick to the more common-base brands of power amps that bass players tend to use. QSC, Crest, Stewart, and Crown are probably the big 4.

And to answer your question: No, typically price can vary amongst brands and models, but usually one isnt much different from the other. QSC's big models are the RMX and PLX series amps. Most seem to think that they are about equal in overall quality... but some prefer the PLX at a little more cost, because they're all very lightweight. 21lbs I believe. I have an RMX series, and its about 40 lbs. 1400W bridged, and it was $400 brand spankin new... waranntee and all.

Although... the amount of power you want might be different than what I was lookin for.. so you should look for the amp thats right for you.

What kind of cabs do you have, and how much power do they handle? Answering that will probably trigger some good suggestions from people on what to use to power them with.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    a bass power amp? Can't you use poweramps with pretty much everything?

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's a DJ amp. It can't take it.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... most poweramps are used by bass players, DJ's and music halls alike.... but there's a select few brands that are favored by bass players and that match most bass cabinets very well.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You've got to be careful with these off brand items. They are often spec'ed very optimistically. I would stick with gear that someone else has already reviewed for use with bass.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd be wary of that amp...Pyramid speakers were rated at some ungodly wattage like 600W out of a 6x9!!! They were really a 40-watter...if they are still doing the same thing, they derived their power rating from X-destruct parameter- the point at which you have to physically chase the cones across the parking lot. Their amp specs might be the point at which they let out the 'magic smoke'. Stick with the big four mentioned above, or even Behringer EuroPower. I have one, and it's a decent amp. Cheap, too. Some people deride Behringer gear, but I've never personally had a problem with any of their products.

9. You have to love the specsmanship...

Q/. When does 2x900watts equal 2x250w RMS?

A/. Why, when it's PYRAMID PEAK MUSIC POWER of course.

BONUS OFFER: Comes with a free minature pyramid model that can sharpen your razor blades while you sleep.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Translation - stay very far away from that. You would be sorely disappointed.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can tell you that Pyramid products are junk. You will find their speakers and amps at flea market vendors and cheap wholesalers. I wouldn't use that amp if it was given to me.

I guess it would make a nice paperweight though :p

11. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    pyramid sells cheapo car stereo equpiment around here.....
    It's pure junk.... don't buy it.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Pyramid is the company that sells 10,000w 1x15 bass combos... asses.

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    OH MY, that's gotta be some speaker.

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's only 250 watts RMS (a side). Why not get yourself a nice Carvin for that price? They're very reliable, and if something goes wrong there's a warranty, and if you're post-warranty you can still get service "in the US".

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It is my understanding that Behringer's 1500 watt amp ($300 street) is the same as the QSC RMX 1450 watt amp($400 street) and built in the same factory. Check the specs...you'll see what I mean.

16. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Umm, my understanding was that behringer produces circuits near identical to the QSC boards, thus producing similar specs. The reason Behringer are denounced around these forums is that they are essentially stealing the research and development of QSC.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't buy that amp. Pyramid sells the worst car stereo components I've ever heard. I'd rather have 12 whoopie cushions installed in ever seat.

Travis

17. Thanks for your inputs guys. I figured the power amp would probably be garbage. Im using an avatar 210/115 setup. So i might want more power. My band is starting to get some bigger gigs too, so I might want a little more power.

18. Pyramid amps are a piece of junk. Like other people have mention, they market stuff on ebay like 9,000 watt 1 x 8 combo practice amps. When I ran across such an auction, I did my research and e-mailed the manufacturer and asked "***?". When they're giving you the specs, they're going beyond peak wattage, they're going to "your cabinet is now a bomb" wattage.

Don't but their stuff, its cheap and poorly marketed.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That leaves the doors pretty wide open, I guess. It depends on the impedance of each cab... but you could possible chain the 2 together and run then bridged. Probably the more practical way to do it though is to run them parallel, so that you can control how much juice each cab gets.

If the cabs are both 4ohms, I suggest the QSC RMX1850, which would put out 600W per side, or the PLX1602 that would give you 500W.

If they're 8ohms each, you might want something more powerful to fill out those cabs. The RMX 2450 would give you 500W per side @ 8ohms, and there's a few PLX series power amps that would give you over 400W.

You also might wanna consider any possible future upgrades you'll want.... so that you can buy a power amp that'll satisfy both your current cabs, and maybe a different cab that you have in mind for later.

20. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I read that they also make an 800w into 4ohm amp for $180??? I wouldn't be suprised if its measured, if they did, at a very high distortion rating.

I love stewart 1.2 amp, QSC is probably great too!! save up and don't mess around with fishy sounding price to watt ratios.