Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap preamp for flat use with poweramp and PC recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dreadhead, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I'm in the market for a preamp. I was looking at Mic preamp 'cause I simply can live without eq. etc. BUT not all the mic preamp can match the input signal of a poweramp.
    After having hi-end stuff (Demeter, QSC, Acoustic Image etc.) I'm actually using an 800w amp, a small Hartke 2x10" cab and a handmade bass. I often record stuff on my homestudio.
    I've found that the Behringer MIC100 and MIC200 would be great for what I need but I wanted to know if there's a good alternative... any idea?
    Is there any bass preamp that can be bought used for cheap and has a good "transparent" flat sound? I could get an Alembic or a Demeter but I simply think that in this period I'm not gigging and such a good preamp would be a waste of money for home practice... TIA!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ART Tube MP
    ART Tube PAC (discontinued, but plentiful inthe used market)
    ART Tube Channel (same, highly recommended)

Bellaru MP-105 (similar to the TUBE MP but all metal. I have one of these and use it as Phantom Power for a condenser mic and also as a dedicated bass or guitar DI with ain. it is very senstive to the tube installed. The better the tube, the better it sounds ... Cheap and effective. It runs on a Wall wart so getting a Euro Equivalent power supply should be easy. I think I paid $75 USD in maybe 2001 or 2002 ...

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Do these units have GAIN and VOLUME controls? My Behringer MIC2200 has both but the gain can be used only with MIC input... :meh:

4. bringing back old thread since I am looking for a tube pac. 4mal: can this preamp drive a Crown power amp easily, or will it be too low?

thanks

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used the Tube Channel to drive a CE-1000 as my main rig for a while. No problem. Personally I'd opt for the Tube Channel as opposed to the PAC - it's way, way more useful ...

6. look at Presonus, it's a cut above and not much money

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I too use the ART Tube Channel Mic strip in one of my rigs. It's a great pre-amp for bass.

Paul

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Presonus make a pretty broad range. Some of it is good, some of it is on par with the low end ART stuff. Which Presonus would you suggest ?

If you havent had direct experience with the Tube Channel - it isn't that far off a Demeter 201 in terms of audio quality - it's a real sleeper of a pre. THe architecture is uniqe. There is a pre, a comp and an EQ (shelving bass with freq select, Shelving High's with freq select and 2 overlapping semi parametric mid bands (or are they full parametric - it's been a while and I've slept since then ...) anyway the default signal path is pre-comp-EQ but there are insert points prior to each stage so you can reconfigure it as comp, pre, EQ or comp, EQ, Pre or Pre, EQ, comp or ... you get the idea. Or you can just patch around the comp or the EQ. Seems to me that I recall being able to take a pre-comp signal, a post comp, pre EQ signal and the EQ'd signal off in one shot - play 1 line get 3 tracks or varying settings... That's really very cool. I wish more gear was designed that way ...

While I had the ART I took the plunge on 1 ru and 1.5 ru versions of the Demeter - it was kind of a let down ... not thatthey were bad, it's just that there wasn't much difference until all the unit's were cranked to the point of significant distortion. The Demeter's smoked the ART when they were toally wound up. They had smooth grind - that ART doesn't - this is at distortion levels far beyond what I would typically record though. Almost up into an over drive kind of sound. I actually played rhythm guitar through the Demeter and a 2x10 on a gig. I haved to keep the power amp way, way dopwn as I was running the Demeter newar flat out - sounded pretty decent actually - still that's like a parlour trick for a bass pre amp in my book.

There's a few TubePAC's floating around the Music Go Round chain for fairly cheap - I'd still hold out for the TC though.