Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Quality Amps & Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pengwan, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Hey All,

I'm looking at a cab and amp to replace my Yorkville 100W combo, as I desperately need some sort of tone in my sound, cause all that the Yorkville seems to do is turn my Jazz to mud.

Now, i'm new in the cab & amp business, so i'm not 100% sure which brand is for me, but i have decided on a 4x10 cab, and an amp with a fair bit of volume :D. Also, I dont have a lot to spend, and i would prefer not getting something off the net, so if the amp/cab one of you guys suggests is new, it would be good if they are available in Australia... :bag:

I'm sorry if i'm asking to much.. you guys can tell me where to go if you really want.. :p

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Pengwan

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When you say you need "cheap" and "quality" I think "used".

Gallien Krueger 400RB head and a 4-10 cab from Hartke, Peavey, Carvin, whatever will do the job.

In the USA such a rig could be assembled for about 400 USD, not sure about Down Under.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    While I'm not sure how the AUD is doing against the USD, there has never been a better time to buy stuff in the USA and ship it. The USD has been on a downward slide making it attractive. Conversely, I suspect products made in Europe (EBS, ASHDOWN, Tech 21, MarkBass, etc) are going to become more epxensive in the USA.

4. The Aussie dollars doing quite well against the USD at the moment, about AUS.71c to US$1.00.

I'm one of those people who is really cautious about getting my gear shipped to me.. just incase anything happens to it!! :( .. I probably should be more optimistic, but oh well :p

Brianrost: when you say the rig for $400 US, what part (the amp or cab) is actually second hand?
    Second hand gear seems to be quite rare ATM, but then again, I havent looked in the trading post for a while, so things might have changed.

Pengwan.

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Canadian in Switzerland Eh?

Also that means that U.S.- made gear is getting cheaper in Canadian dollars. Over the past year, the Canuck buck has improved about 15% vs. the US dollar.

Buying online out of the states is once again a viable proposition. That's how I bought my Peavey Deltabass head and my Sans Amp Bass Driver (both off Ebay).

6. Thanks for the replys!

Buying online is actually seeming like quite a good idea, but just one question... has anyone had any bad experiences with ordering over the net from a site such as Muscians Friend?

Any other recomendations for a non-dodgy site that I can order gear off would be great! :D

Thanks again,

Pengwan.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Both parts.