cheap rack tuners?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 5, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well, i just got my 6 space rack, so it's time to finish off the rest of the pieces.

all i need is a power conditioner and rack tuner.

for the power conditioner i think i'm going to go with the RP-8 - $50 bucks at i don't need lights.

for the tuner, i really can't see myself spending DTR kind of money on something that just tunes my bass - it doesn't have to do anything fancy-pants. so it looks like there are plenty of these on ebay:

Sabine RT-1601's. seem to go for around 60 bucks or less routinely. not pretty, but do they get the job done? who here has used one of these? can they accuratly identify a low b?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't have any experience with those, but I've used a smaller Sabine tuner (ST-1100, or something like that) a few times. My dad's had it for something like 15 years, and it still works great. It handles the B just fine.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have that exact tuner, I got it for $80 shipped off of ebay, with a new planet waves 20' instrument cable. It does the trick, but you will have to use harmonics and let the note ring for it to register. Fills the space in the rack. Thing that pisses me off, is the wall wart power supply......constantly falling out of the power conditioner outlet every time it is moved. Nothing spectacular, but good for initial reference, and worth the money.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you have to use harmonics for ANY note? or just the low B?

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not sure to be honest, but I know for a fact I need one for the b. I just grab a harmonic for all of them, just as easy.
  6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have that same one and paid $70 on Ebay plus shipping. It is very, very touchy but I think they are worth the money.
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anybody been able to figure out what the function button does?
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have had one for a few years and i hate it with a passion

if i had the money, i would buy the korg, but i don't
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Jason.. you can get a Korg tuner for around the Same $.. maybe alittle more.. I have the older style DTR-2 Korg tuner I think i paid $80 for it and it works great.. no problems Identifying that low B at all
  10. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You can download a manual from Sabine's web site:

Click on LITERATURE at the top of the homepage, then click on MUSIC ACCESSORIES, then look under TUNER OPERATING GUIDES and click on the 1601.

I also have the 1601. Very pleased with it.
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I used a Sabine rack tuner for a couple of years. It's slow and sometimes misses the B altogether.

It also has very small display LEDs and you have to be pretty close to it to tune.

IT works, but the extra money you spend on the Korg would be worth it IMO.

12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the answers i wanted. thanks guys!
  13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i just got rid of mine and while it does get the job done it does it very s l o w l y: much slower than my newer korg dtr. also hard to see as was also pointed out before... butit will fill a space up nicely for you :)