Cheap rackmount multieffects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Infiltration12, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap multieffects processor for my rack. It can be 2U or 1U. And recommendations?

2. it depends on what you mean by "cheap" but i'd say ART Nightbass if you can find one used--i think there was one for sale here a little bit ago

3. Why do you want a "cheap" multi-effects unit for your rack? Why not a multi-effects pedal? A rackmounted ME setup will be very difficult to use in a live situation without an additional MIDI controller pedal. Also, the vast majority of PA-style multi-effects will mainly concentrate on reverbs and delays, neither of which will be very useful for most bassists to just leave on, and without a controller pedal, you won't be able to turn them on or off midsong. Also, they will generally not have any sort of fuzz, OD, envelope filters, sub-octaves or synth effects, which are sort of staples for most bassists.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    They may be a little hard to find but look out for an Art Mutiverb III.

The III version have a fix on them that all the other units do not have (including the Night Bass), that avoids the dreaded Data Corruption problem they all had.

I have found the MVIII to be a fantastic Multi Effector unit that can be had really cheap.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Boss VF-1 is a great el-cheapo rack multieffect (it has envelope, OD, synth, etc. effects as well). I sold my Eventide Eclipse as I preferred the VF-1. It will require either a MIDI foot controller or at least a small dual footswitch.

6. Ok, I will shop around for the Boss VF-1 and both Art units.

Cheap: I like my money :ninja:

Rack Mount: I like rack mount effects because I know that as soon as I buy one pedal, I will end up buying more pedals, a pedalboard, power supply etc. I want to avoid my own "addictive" personality and keep everything in my rack.

7. also some people have mentioned a preference towards the boss SE-50 over the VF-1 as well (SE-50 is somewhat of a precursor to the VF-1)

i believe the reason was the sound of the distortion--both units are awesome though

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Here is my MVIII

BeascoRack_1316.jpg

9. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I haven't tried other rack multi-effects but I do like the VF-1 a lot. I don't like the dirt in it, but all of the other effects sound really great, and there's tons of controls over all of them with 4 customizable assigns per preset. Note they're 1/2 rack so you'll need a rack shelf and appropriate screw to mount them. Or the special Boss rack adapter which I've never personally seen, it could simply be a shelf for all I know.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The shelf for the VF1/SE70 is a short rack shelf (probably about 5" deep) and it has two convex circles with a hole in the middle of each, to fit into the concave circle with a screw on the bottom of the units.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I owned a couple of Ibanez 70s multieffect UE400s. They also made the ue405. Good rack units.

12. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Just wondered if you had ever found the multi effect unit. I am thinking about getting one myself and getting rid of my pedal board.

13. Decent cheap rackmount bass multi is a Line 6 Bass POD XT Pro, but you need a foot controller also.

Liam

14. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
  15. joel3000

joel3000

Feb 22, 2010
    Davis, CA
  16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The Digitech Quads have some decent effects, interesting patching options and they go cheap. They aren't much fun to program though.

17. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Can the Line 6 or any of the other mentioned rackmounts be bypassed? I know that I played a church gig years ago with a line 6 and and there was no bypass of amp models etc.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Both of the Boss ones can.

19. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The original PODs had no bypass for the amp models. The xt and x3 do have bypass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021