Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap reliable acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtr, Dec 20, 2002.

1. jtr

jtr

Dec 20, 2002
    well, this is my first post so i figured id start off will a Hi and a brief bg on me.

been playing bass for about 5-6 years now, although only seriously for the past 2. been involved in the Kauai Highschool Jazz Band, which won the gateway music festival in 2002 w/ a gold metal (had to play "the chicken", but i wont comment on how i did...yeesh...)

I currently own a Carvin Lb40 4 fretted 4 string and a Zeta Jazz Standard Uprite. been playing standup for about a year (only "seriously" for a semester), perchased the zeta about 6 months ago. im involved in the KCC Jazz and orchistra(sp?), which keeps me active in bassing.

now... on to the question....

I am currently involved in an acoustic band and i need some guidence in perchisting a fretless acoustic.

i would hopefully like it pretty cheap because, due to the sparatic nature of my band its always good to have the instrament in your car. i know everyone is whincing when i say that, but i would rather carry it with me everyday then have to drive 40 minutes to go and get it. at this point pickups are a plus but not required. at the moment i think i will be playing the db whenever i can (if we ever have shows and such), but for learning songs an acoustic will be great for those late night parking lot jam sessions.

so, anyone got any suggestions??

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi! Welcome!

I think that if I were in your position I'd look for a used Applause ABG, assuming they are/were available fretless. Fewer temperature concerns with leaving one in a car!

The ultimate would be an old graphite Rainsong, but that's a bit pricey for your use... ;)

I don’t think a typical wood construction ABG would hold up too well to living in your car.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read good things here about the Michael Kelley basses, but avoid the unlined fretless, the side dots are in the wrong place!

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You shouldnt do anything until you've tried the tacoma olympia line.

5. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    try a Dean Performer

6. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    plenty of used washburns on eBay - do they job, look cool, come w/HSC

7. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    I think you get what you pay for. Try to find a bass that may be just a little over what you would like to spend, and save a little longer or borrow some bucks. You'll be happy you did it.

8. jtr

jtr

Dec 20, 2002
    I would agree with "you get what you pay for" setiment, but i dont want to see a nice bass get thrashed in my car :/

*edit
    can you tell me anymore about the Dean Performer

first price i found was 300 bucks...

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As I said, an Applause...

10. Thumbz

Thumbz Guest

Hi. As the rest have said, you DO get what you pay for. I bought a Peavey A/B sounds fine acoustically, apart from a rattling nut and fret buzz from badly seated frets! Plug it in to a desk or amp, and it sounds like the body is made of tin!

Save your pennies! I have heard good things about the Takamine (i think it's the EG model) Looks good too!

As for fretless... will probably cost you more cash. Check out some of the other threads here. One gives good instruction in carying out the "dastardly deed" yourself.

Failing all that... sell the zeta and go for an electric upright, looks cool, portable, fretless... just a thought...

11. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    Try the Epiphone El Capitan. I have a fretless 5 and LOVE it! Great bang for the buck in my experience.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Tacoma, but only if you agree to take care of it!

The Olympia basses by Tacoma are nice too, but just not as nice.

Oh yeah, and theyre both LOUD compared to other acoustics.

Peace
    Nick

13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    loud for an acoustic bass (unplugged) is the hard part. Why I suggest the olympia line. But I have rolled up to an applause that was good.

If you see one cheap that sounds good acoustically, go for it. Most of them will suck acoustically.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean performer is a really good bass. I know somebody who has a fretless one and it sounds, looks, and plays really nice.