Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Nov 27, 2003.

1. are there any cheap rickenbackers, or cheap knockoffs of a rickenbacker 4-string?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know some companys made em for a little while but then Rickenbacker made em stop, right?

3. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Univox made some (I think in the 70's). They're pretty hard to find now though. I've seen some on Bass Palace's site but I don't recommend buying things from them.

4. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Once in a while you'll find a "lawsuit bass" on ebay or something, but yeah, Rickenbacker hunts down those who copy their designs, rips their hearts out, and makes them eat it.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ibanez made a killer lawsuit copy. Headstocks the same with like the same type font that says ibanez. It even has the dual trussrods i think.

6. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    If you want a RIC, save your pennys and get a 4001/4003. Too many people spend thousands on basses trying to mimic the RIC sound only to end up buying the real thing. Save yourself a ton of cash and get it right the 1st time. You can spend your savings on a dynamite rig :D

7. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Occasionally you'll run into a RIC scam on Ebay. The other day I found a $300 Ric, but it had a Fender bridge! It even said "badass II" when it wasn't a Badass! If you find those little things, it isn't really a Ric. Some Rickenbacker website has loads of pictures of Rics from Ebay that were faked.

8. buy one thats beat up... i had a 4001 a few years ago that i picked up for 250... it had a lot of wear but still played nice

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Define "cheap"

I just landed a '75 4001 in 9.8 out of 10 condition with case for under a grand. You just have to be patient, which is really hard :)

10. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Congratz!!! put up pictures asap

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've got a few at the house. It was a gift, and the hardest gift I've ever given ;)

12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Only a Ric is a Ric, bottom line.

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    As some other TBers said above, Rickenbacker copies are illegal. There are judgements about that.

Also, John Hall (CEO of RIC company) said several times that Rickenbacker would probably never launch "budget line" basses. This means what Music Man (S.U.B.), G&L (Tribute), Lakland (Skyline) or Fender (Mex) do, will probably never be done by Rickenbacker.

I second the advice I read above : find a used Rick (4001 or 4003) in good or excellent condition, and try to talk the seller down for the price. For less than a grand, you'll find a wonderful Rickenbacker, an instrument that no other can mimic.

Cheers,
    JL

14. Even new RIC's arent that expensive really IMO.
    The www.ricpage.com sells them for about 980$ USA (depending on finnish)
    Even Music 123 sells them for about that price too. There seems to be another popular site to buy a new RIC which is www.thepickofthericks.com But i dunno how good their prices are.

Its quite easy for you to get a new RIC under a grand in America.
    Personally id email Ricpage to see if they have any used 4003's also. Might find something nice there.
    From some of the clones i seen depending on the shape they can go for about 500$ USA. And in my opinion it would probally be best to just save the extra 400$ or 500$ to get a real RIC.

15. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
  16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    To the addresses above, I'll add www.gui****en.com, with whom I made a good deal, with great communication.

Cheers,
    JL

17. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    RIC notifies ebay that the listing is a violation of their trademarks and ebay removes the listing. Ebay has a Verified Rights Owners program to protect intellectual property owners against violators. There is even software on the market to help companies track violators.

You can't copy most of the design elements of the RIC look. But function itself can't be trademarked. You can build a 33 1/4" scale neck through bass with a 1 1/4" thick maple body, same spec pickups, floating bridge, etc. etc. You could nail the RIC tone dead-on.

But you don't see any importers doing this, do you? Why? Because they aren't interested in tone in the least. They just want to profit off the exact look.

18. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Boy, I am feeling kind of lucky when reading this post. At a guitar show early this year I picked up a '75 (I think, I have looked it up by the s.n., but don't remember at the moment) Ric 4001 for $140. The bass is a definity a project. In its past life someone had pulled the frets out, sanded off the finished and applied what appears to be a varnish over the whole thing. The bass come in two parts, the wood of the body and neck as one part (in decent shape other then then the lack of frets and the need for a refin) and then all of the hardware (minus two pots, toggle switch and bridge) as the second part in plastic bag. So far I have refretted it, but haven't gotten any further. I think the instrument originally had a burst finish, but I will probably refin it either midnight blue or black.

Steve