Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap rig i'm pondering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geezerman, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    SSB-212L (4 OHM)

For about $170 shipped this has gotten some great reveiews and is rated at 600 watts at 4 ohms

Ashdown Mag 300H

$260-300

My band is starting to play shows and i need to replace my fender rumble 60, i've looked through cabs, heads and combos and i beleive this is the best bang for my buck. With a 212 cab i can add another one on when i upgrade the head. i know you get what you pay for but is this an alrigh for playing some to medium gigs? ( i never know about pa support, depends on whos playing with us)

Summary for those who hate reading:
    Good for the money? thoughts welcome.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The Avatar B212 is a safer and more reliable choice... but if you can't afford it, then you may as well pull the trigger. A 212 is your best bet for standalone use. The MAG should give you enough power for medium gigs.

I say go for it if you really need the setup.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont know steelsound. MAG 300 is a great head. I sold it to raise funds for my current amp, but miss it every now and then.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    By going with Avatar Dave sells them on a discount when you buy a cab from him so see if that would work for you as Avatar's gear is top notch.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah im really in the middle but that few hundred is alot to someone with low cash flow, ah will e-mail dave and see what he recomends (most likley im going 212 still.)

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    My Ashdown Mag 300/Avatar 212 is coming this week, I ordered it Friday. Thats what I went with, and my total costs were 589.00 which I think is VERY resonable.

7. If you can find a Mag300 for about $260 somewhere, then the SS cab might be a viable option.

I've heard the SS is a respectable cab, but it's still not tried and true like the Avatar. The Avatar would also give you a $50 discount on the Ashdown head, which cuts the price difference between the SS and Avatar cab much closer.

If you are willing to gamble with cabs a little, maybe get something much better (or heaven forbid much worse), and you can find the Ashdown for $260 not through Avatar, go for it.

However, I'd say that you can't go wrong with the Avatar if you can spare the close to $100 difference. Either way, I hope it works out for you.

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    unchain keep me posted on how it sounds ;)

I love the way dave and avatar handle the custmoers, and those prices are great! Just school fees are killing any income i have very very limited cash flow Will give it a month or two to read even more reviews and such, but i think Steelsound is the best bang for my buck at the moment, and they are offering that awesome price for the Mah 300h as standalone too :D

So a SS 212 + a ashdown mag 300h from avatar would run $438.00 total, with good reviews of the cab and head, i'm thinking this is where it's at.

9. Geezerman,

Don't get me wrong - I love Avatar as well - but don't be put off by the Avatar mafia here (sorry guys, but it's almost comical that nothing other than Avatar seems to do it for the group). "safer and more reliable"; "not tried and true"....hmmm, perhaps fair statements, but perhaps not as well. There's a good group of us that believe they're very reliable and I know mine is tried and true.

I wrote a pretty extensive review on the SSB212, it seems as if you've already posted in that forum as well.

The Steelsound cab is a very viable option for about half the price of the Avatar.

Please don't misunderstand - I have the B210 Neo from Dave, and it's a great cab (especially after replacing the crossover). I just appreciate a company putting out a quality product that is standing up to weekend abuse just fine.

Your original question asked if the Ashdown and the SS cab would be a good rig (and cheap).

The answer is yes.

Just my .02 worth.
    Jay

10. Check out used Peavey Firebass 700 heads. More power, workable tone, and more versatilty as far as what cabs you can use. You can find them for $200-$300 all the time on ebay.

11. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the replies, and thanks for the PM jay will get to you ;)