Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Salesman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Apr 30, 2001.

1. I walked into a store the other day and one of the salesmen came up to me and immediately started to try and sell me on an ampeg amp. I told him that so far I have been considering getting an SWR amp with maybe a Ampeg or Carvin Cab. Then the guy tried to convince me that you shouldn't mix and match different brands of Amps and Cabs. Now I admit I do not know that much about Bass Rigs. But I am pretty sure that this information was absolutly Bull Shiot. I am sick of salesmen seeing me walking in and seeing, inexperienced 16 year old bass player who doesn't know anything. Well Guess what? They're wrong

2. Hi PL, welcome.
    Yes, he was absolutely feeding you a line of BS. You can mix and match any manufacturer's
    products so long as you keep the ohms matched up properly.

It is a shame, but a fact of life, that salespeople will try to throw out any line they can think of to get:
    a) higher commission by selling a higher ticket item.
    b) rid of some piece of junk that has been sitting around the store for 5 years.

I recently had a salesman telling me that I could "not possibly" take my playing seriously because I play through a Hartke stack. As far as he was concerned, if I wasn't using SWR or Ampeg or Eden amps and cabs, I must be some sort of jerk-off loser. Of course, his store sells those three brands and not Hartke. As I walked out of the store, I let him know that he might sell more gear if he didn't insult his customers. Oh well.

Anyway, if a salesman gives you a line that sounds fishy, get a second opinion somewhere else (like here for instance).

Good luck in your search.

3. In my area, there are two music stores pretty close by (5 miles). I never go there, because of the intimidating or unwilling salespeople. I'd rather drive 50 miles for a good store.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You could go back and tell the salesman that the only Ampeg you'd consider is an SVT made with the Linden, NJ, parts and a Selmer backplate, that some of the parts were compromised when Magnavox took over, and went really downhill when St. Louis Music took over and put limiting circuitry in and lower quality transformers, using Crate quality control.

I still like SVT's, but that should scare him off.

5. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Maybe you should have asked him because he plays this equipment, he signed by who and his tour starts when?

Then ask to see the store manager!

Commissioned music sales people are a pain in the ass!

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How come every time I go into a music store, some ding-a-ling salesman tries to sell me the "latest" rig setup? One salesman's reason for trying to get me to get rid of my 6x10 and buy a 2x10 was because, "This setup is very popular right now. We sell a lot of this type of setup." When I bought my used head, I was told that no one uses Randall amps, so I shouldn't buy a Randall amp. Am just some bass playing lemming that can only buy and use what someone famous uses? That amp cost me $100 bucks and has lasted me for 4 years of gigging. In my mind, it was a sound investment. It is only now that I want more power and versatility that I need to buy something else. When I looked at a wah pedal a few years ago, I was told I was using it wrong! Hello? Is there only one way to use an effect? More recently than that, a salesman (kid) tried telling me that all cables are shielded. When I asked why one 20' cable cost 15 dollars, and the other 20' cable cost $30, he replied with, "The thirty dollar one is COLORED and the other one is just plain black." I looked him right in the eye and asked him, "Are you telling me that because you think I don't know, or are you telling me that because you don't know?"
    Here is my advice to jerk-off salesmen (or women): Just sell me what I ask for and answer the questions I ask to the best of your knowledge and let me leave the store satisfied for once.

7. Ok Thats good. All of the area stores in this area work on commision and it sucks. I get fed BS all the time. Truthfully, I dont know all the much so I can get swindled pretty easily. However this Salesmen was just a complete moron. First he tells me that Ampeg amps are very reliable and never break down, and if they do it is your fault. He then proceeded to realize that the demo amp was "incapacitated" Heh. I walked out of the store laughing very hard

8. Oh and by the way fretless5 I am not new. i have been here for a long time but I dont know how to get my rating up.

9. PL-
    I see you are from Kettering (Cincy here). You might try Hauer Music in Dayton. I haven't been up there in a while, but they always treated me well and hd sales people who actually knew what they were talking about.

10. I hope you are joking? Hauer is well known is this area for being swindlers. I actually went to Hauer right after this and recieved no better treatment. I have concluded that to get good service in a music store you have to walk in, with a fat wallet, checkbook in hand and at least ACT like you have the money to buy what you are looking at. Otherwise they don't think you will do anything but mess around

11. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I am near both Sam Ash and Guitar Center. This A hole at samashole gives me "SUCH A DEAL" on a Gk 400 III head at $479 +tax. I say, "I buy a lot of stuff here, that's the best you can do huh?" He goes out of the room, talks to his cyberspace manager, comes back and says "$489 out the door, Great deal.

Guitar Center.....same scenario.

I've bought stuff from another store (only when it's in stock) for the better part of about 30 years now. He's a small but profitable independent. I go in, he's got one, and I ask, "how much?" His first price is $395+ tax. He says he just got the head in about a week ago.

I have the fat wallet. I've bought thousands of dollars at both chain stores. Everyone knows me and that I'm a potential sale every time I walk in. They NEVER give me a decent price. I have to threaten them with the price this other dealer gives me, complain a lot, and then I turn around and buy it from the independent just to make my point. I haggle a little, he gives me another $10-15 off, he keeps me as a customer.

This used car dealer attitude sucks. My not being seriously courted EVERY time I walk into those stores has cost them more thousands than they've gotten from me. I've only bought there when this third store doesn't carry the brand I want or doesn't have it in stock 'cause he never gets the stuff in when he says. Stock only, Big time savings. Custom order....SAM ASHOLE here I come. Please be nice next time you jerks!!

LKaye

12. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Its the same story with big chain stores. GC,
    Sam Ashwipes, Mars - your just a number and a dollar sign. If you don't buy it, someone else will. Worst part is half the time the guy helping you (when you can find one) dosen't know a bass from a base!

I'm lucky here on the west coast - lots of independent mom and pop stores that not only give ya the welcome mat when you come in, they are willing to deal and try to make you feel like your business is appreciated! Even if it cost a little more, I'll go to the small stores whenever possible just for decent service everytime. :D

13. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Best way to handle salesmen is to do your homework and walk in knowing what you want.

When I walk into a store, I'm ready to buy -- I've checked the catalogs, I've checked the Web (TalkBass, of course, as well as other sources), I've read the equipment reviews. Typically, I have all the material tucked under my arm. So if the salesman is either a dimwit or a crook who tries to fool me, I can set him straight.

BTW, legitimate stores LIKE it when you do this. THEY get tired of dimwit bassplayers who come in not knowing beans about gear, not knowing what they want and offering $275 for an amp that should truly and honestly sell for $450.

14. Unless you really need help, the last thing a salesperson wants to hear from a customer are the words " Just looking, thank you. If I need anything I will ask you, O.K.?".
    This phrase works every time. Believe me, I have worked in a sales evironment selling guitars.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right on, PL. Give 'em hell, dude.

16. I cant do anything but agree, the best thing is to know what you want and how much to pay for it. AND resist that BS talk like "You know big star (any big player) uses this" or "I have one of these myself" Ahhh cmon does anyone believe that they DO have one of their own?

If you dont get good treatment then walk out, and let them know how you feel about them. Then they might just nderstand that they just lost a customer, and that they are more likely to lose more if he/she tells his/her friends.

Remember: cash is king! :D

17. Mesa man, That is all good and well, but the problem is, ALL of the stores in my area are that way. They all have snobby salesmen, who dont really care about what you want. They just want to make their weekly quota. If I leave one store I have to find another that is good. But their are none. I want to know where these "Mom and Pop" stores are. I dont see any in the Southwest Ohio Area.

18. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Dunno bout Ohio, but L.A. has got a big handful. :D

19. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How's this for sh**ty service: My band (unfortunately) has to rent some of the gear we use from one of our area's four "big name" music stores. Every week we give these guys a hundred bucks for lighting, power amps, mics and stands. Every week we get stuck with a broken light set, $9 microphone that I am supposed to amp a bass cab with, tripod stands with only TWO legs, etc. Every time I complain and have to ask them outright, "What are you going to do about this?" To add insult to injury, they can't even remember my first name when I go in there! I agree with what PLehmer said about beinf 16 years old and not knowing anything. My phrase is usually, "I may not be Stu Hamm or Geddy Lee or even Cliff Burton for that matter, but I also didn't just pick up a bass yesterday."

20. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    And once again, damn those typos.