cheap Sansamp overdrive alternative

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silentstranger, Feb 19, 2003.

1. The short story: I'm looking for a cheap pedal that can do a reasonably good imitation of a SABDDI.

The long story: Using a software version of the Sansamp Bass Driver, the producer of my band's album added this kickass overdrive to one of my basslines, and I want to recreate it live. Obviously the best way would be with a SABDDI, but I'm hoping not to spend that much. I'm thinking about a Boss ODB-3, but I've heard some say that that pedal is more of a distortion (correct me if that's wrong), which isn't really what I'm going for (I think).

I don't really know how to describe the sound I'm going for; the best adjective I can think of is "BALLSY" overdrive, warm and tubey are also good. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive pedal that might fit the bill?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. EBS MultiDrive?

Not extremely cheap though...
  4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Ibanez PD7 is by far the best bass overdrive for the price. It won't quite get you the exact SABDDI sound, but it comes close on certain settigs and is actually a lot more versitile, as far as being an overdrive.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Not really. there are other great OD's out there, but the Sans Amp is the only thing that sounds like a Sans Amp. What software did he use? Was it a plug in? Would you mind asking him? I've never been able to get software OD to sound any good.
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree with some of the other opinions. Just save your clams and go for it. The Sansamp is the best thing I have purchased ever for my bass. I was without mine for a short period and I about cried when I tried to play my bass without it. MXR makes a product that is similar, but I haven't tried it. I believe it is still 129 or so, so you wouldn't save that much.
  7. The Boss unit didn't please me. I bought one on a whim and it's harsh and solid state sounding at times. It can be tamed a bit but I wouldn't recommend it.
  8. DOD FX91 Bass Overdrive

This one does the trick for me, from mild to grindy overdrive, no real distortion (perhaps when you maximize all settings).
    There might be better sounding and more reliable (the plastic on/off button looks like a toy :rolleyes: ) pedals, but it works fine for me.
  9. Try a big Muff. It's very ballsy I think. And cheap too.
  10. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I just bought a SansAmp used for $150 which isn't that bad.

It is the BEST pedal for OD I have tried. I tried Digitech, Boss, Owned the PD7, various guitar pedals such as Tube Screamer, and Ibanez Metal Zone. Also my multieffects units such as the Zoom 506 and my current Korg AX1b.

None of these compares to the SansAmp. I really recommend saving to buy one. It also does so much more than just overdrive! There are so many settings to exlpore and sounds to ejoy, its unreal. DO BELIEVE THE HYPE! This is a true one of a kind pedal.

Of the lower end pedals, the PD7 would be your best bet.
  11. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well I wouldnt rwecommend the odb-3.. just aint that great sounding.. I also have a rbi and love it's od tone.. BUT, I also have a MXR-133 microamp and love it's od tone too.. it's no sansamp but it's just a clean overdriven tone that gives bass some grit.. works great with bass, better with bass than with guitar I think.. the MXR wont give any tube warmth, but it sounds good IMO.. both together sound really good IMO... you can probably pickup a MXR-133 for cheap on ebay.. I belive Flea use to use one when he used the 800rb, to get his gritty tone.. now he uses the 2001rb so he may not need it or use it anymore, but that's a good example of what it sounds like..
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you out of your mind ?
    The guy is looking for a creamy overdrive, and you recommend him a fuzz.

As said, the BDDI is really cheap for what it does, and it has a lot more possibilities than a simple overdrive.
    For real cheap overdrive stuff, a DOD Classic Tube pedal could work.
    An Ibanez PD-7 will do a fine job, but not far as creamier as a SanSamp.
    Finally, the TubeWorks Blue Tube is a really great pedal, with a tube within.
    Not that cheap tough.
  13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just got one of these the other day to try out, had been curious about it for a long time. I love it, the EQ makes it very versatile. I've found myself keeping it on all the time with a low drive to add some grit to the bottom end.

You could have one of them new ($115) for less than the price of a used SABBDI. Obviously, it's not as versatile as the SABBDI. I have both and use them for different purposes. But if you don't need the DI and other SABBDI features and just want a good creamy overdrive then I recommend the Blue tube. pedalgeek carries them as does Musicians Fiend.

In fact, look here and you can get a scratch and dent special for $97.74 new. That's a great deal! I've bought Scratch and Dent stuff from the Fiend before and it's covered under the same 45 day satisfaction policy as regular purchases.
  14. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg.I believe they are about $80.It can do a mild tube sounding overdrive at lower gain settings as well as a "Anesthesia"type sound at high gain settings.Here's a sample of my 2001RB high gain channel on which the Diesel Dawg is based on with a mild tube like overdrive.
  15. To me atleast, the Big Muff can get close to Tim Commerfords overdrive sound on the new Audioslave album. His sound is what I think of when I think of "Ballsy tubey overdrive". (Btw. Silentstrangers adjectives are: "Kickass, BALLSY, warm and tubey", not "creamy") But you're right, the Big Muff IS a fuzz-pedal, but if you are cautious with the sustain knob you can get some nice sounds out of it.

16. Hey guys, play nice...I don't even really know what the hell I meant with those adjectives, so let's not argue about them ;) :D If I have the software for it, I think I'm gonna try to rip a few seconds off the CD and post it so everyone can hear it and apply their own description...

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions...I'll be trying out as many of these pedals as possible on my next GC trip within a couple days, hopefully I'll find something I like.

Blisshead, I'll see if I can get ahold of him; might take a few days but hopefully I'll be able to dig up some info for ya...
  17. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You might be able to get by with one of the Behringer Tube pre-amps. They're available new for about $80. They have a gain and everything. I haven't heard one myself, but I'd bet it can do something along the same lines as the tube emulation that SansAmp is famous for.

I play the SansAmp RBI. I also have a Behringer Ultrafex enhancer. It works well so I assume the Behringer stuff is good in general. They make so many pre-amps and tube emulators that I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs.

(I don't work for behringer.)
  18. I've owned the Original rackmount, the PSA-1, the Classic pedal and now the SABDDI. All were cool for the studio but the doubling of preamps live was just a blurry mess. You're better off with a dedicated bass OD for live work and a Sansamp-style product for direct into the board applications. My current fav is the Dredgetone Bass Angler.
  19. Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the Boss pedal at GC and it was pretty decent, as well as some Digitech pedal that sounded like crap. I then went to some other stores, and tried ................ nothing. No stores seem to have any decent selection of bass effects; everybody had the Boss, but nothing more exotic. :(

However, this turned out to be quite irrelevant, as I noticed this shortly after my GC run:
    Yep, that's me. Got me a SABDDI for $120 shipped, just arrived yesterday :D It makes my practice amp sound 100% better, and the OD rocks...can't wait to try it through my main rig. And the best part: I no longer have to carry my ******** BXR-60 to practices anymore! :cool:
  20. BTW, Blisshead -
    I talked to the producer today. He used ProTools, and he said it was just a SansAmp plugin, didn't know of any more specific name. As it turns out, we're both gonna be at SXSW next week so if you have any more specific questions, I can ask him then. Let me know.