Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap short scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellow_rev, Dec 9, 2003.

1. yellow_rev

yellow_rev

Oct 27, 2003
    does anybody know of any good quality short scale bass. im looking for one but being in my financial position (still in school)i dont have that much money. if anybody knows of a nice good quality short scale bass i would apperciate it if they could tell me. thanks alot

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. rondo has a decent one from time to time. Whenever theyre in stock. Kurt told me that they would be getting short scale jazzes around thanksgiving, but it either didnt happen, or the boat is really slow. The bronco has nasty tone. One of the few basses i really dont like. However, Ibanez has the GAXB150 bass, which i think, is 32 inch scale. Its only 160. The one i tried at GC had pretty good tone for an Ibanez, and that one p-up is awful simple. Theres 3 pre set tone settings, which i think is fine, because even w/ a tone knob, theres not much more than 3 options (full off, full on, and somewhere in between) SOOO, thats all i gotta say.
    I would check out that Ibanez if i weres youses.
    My 2 cents.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Hamer Slammer series (imports) includes one short-scale. Victor Litz Music was eBaying these for around $160, I think.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, I think if you're willing to go 32", the GAXB is pretty decent. Also, Danelectro Longhorns (often available used) are pretty good little basses. The Longhorn is not so comfy sitting down as it tends to slide off too easily, but otherwise, it works well IMO. I thought the Bronco was OK, but obviously there's room for a difference of opinion.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    How fast do you need it? If your budget is tight you should pm Kurt and see when the new batch of shortscale SX Ps are coming in at Rondo. I really like mine -- the short neck is "fast" and it's very easy to bend the strings. It's also fun to slap.

7. I can testify for this bass. It played very well, and looked much more solid then most Squires I have played. Plus, unlike the Bronco it has 2 soapbars giving it much more versatility.

8. You might check out the Fender Musicmaster bass, I have heard some descent things about the reissues'

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Good to know. My 11-year-old daughter says she wants to play bass, and it's clear to me a 34" scale ain't happening yet. Thanks for the info.