1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap/Simple Delay Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    So I was thinking about getting a delay, right? I borrowed my guitarist's Boss DD-6. Great pedal, a little expensive... Plus I don't even want all those features. I want a pretty simple, cheap delay that I can modify to have expression control of feedback or delay time.

So really, I need it to be very straightforward, besides that, I want it to have almost infinite repeats when feedback is up all the way, and for it to get that weird glitchy sound when you mess with the delay time.

I've been doing some investigation, but I haven't had a chance to try most of these pedals out. So far I have tried the DD6, DD3, and EHX #1 Echo. DD6 does too much, DD3 might end up working for me, #1 echo costs too much methinks. I was looking at the line 6 DL-4, but it does way too much and costs way too much.

Let me know.

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Used DigiDelay. DD6 features for around $50. Very easy to use.

3. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I saw that one on musicians friend, is that the one saltybeans just moded??

edit: yes it is

4. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got mine last week.:) loop function is fun IMO

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Cheap Delay to modify surely you are talking about the Dano PB&J can pick em up for erm next to nothing and I mean NOTHING.

Rehouse one, make it TB add all the expr jacks you want I hear they are great delays and a modder's dream.

I have one incoming so I'll do some sound samples when I get it for the tone to help you decide.

6. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Guyatone MD3 comes to mind. Small, simple, not expensive, self-oscilates. Bladdow!

People complain about the case, but you're rehousing and modding anyway, though.

7. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, the only things I need it to do is sweet tastey glitchy pitch shifting and infinite repeats.

I'll check out that guyatone...

too bad my friend that owns a PB&J just left for college, I think I'll go to GC today...

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Boss DD-3 or the Ibanez AD9

9. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Today in-store:

Digitech Digidelay:
    I liked this a lot, the glitchyness could have been a little cooler, but in mode 1 it got a weird synthy tone when I messed with delay time.

DD3:
    I liked this one a lot as well. It has very satisfying glitch sounds.

Marshall Echohead:
    It was alright, nothing special really.

Dan Electro DanEcho: horrible, it was easy to overload and distort it with the active bass I was using, there were little to no glitching sounds.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    DigiDelay gets my vote. I had two of them in my chain at one time.