1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap solution to use a Tone Hammer without a PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Souperman08, Mar 18, 2013.

  1. Souperman08


    Sep 26, 2010
    So, I'm just starting out gigging and practicing with a band. I already have a bass I love, and I managed to pick up an Aguilar Tone Hammer for cheap. I love how it sounds, and it works great when I have a PA, but I want something portable and cheap for practices and auditions. Would my best option be a combo amp with an effects loop, or something like a powered wedge? I'm open to suggestions. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $200. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
  2. Dave W

    Dave W Supporting Member

    Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd just get an amp
  3. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For $200, you're not going to get much unless you buy used. And even then, you're not going to get great stuff. I have a couple less-than-$200 amps that I use sometimes (BA110 is quite sweet for a practice amp), but I'd never show up to an audition with one. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
  4. fender_mod


    Jun 23, 2005
    Ya you would be surprised how far a little extra money will take you with gear. Even just $350 will get you a pretty decent amp. Save a few dollars and get something you'll actually be proud of.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

    ::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

    Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think I saw a bag end s15d in the classifieds. That would give you a powerful, portable cab for around $300. Pair that up with your TH amp and you have yourself a very capable rig that is portable and not too pricey.

    My .02
  6. Souperman08


    Sep 26, 2010
    Is that a powered cab? I have the Tone Hammer preamp/DI unit (sorry, didn't clarify that).

    Alright guys, looks like I need to save up. Thanks for the advice!
  7. GrowlerBox


    Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    The Tone Hammer should have enough output from the DI (8 VRMS) to drive one of the GK powered enclosures. Still a bit more than $200, though ...
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

    ::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

    Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    No it isn't. I didnt realize you have the pedal version. I have the same unit and I do like it alot. I often use mine with a poweramp (QSC 2402) and it works really well.

    In your case, I think you either have to do as growler box suggests and get a gk powered enclosure or sell your TH and use the funds + your $200 budget and buy a decent combo or integrated amp + cab.
  9. Used Peavey combo. Bewteen that as the monitor and the TH DI for the PA you could go a long way in some bands
  10. rpsands


    Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go down to the pawn shop and say "I have 200 dollars. Give me an old power amp and a cab."

    Should be able to get one of the old beat up power amps - like a Peavey CS800 or something - and a generic 1x15 bass cab or some such along those lines.

Share This Page