Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrangeMan, Dec 16, 2005.

1. OrangeMan

OrangeMan

Aug 26, 2005
    Petersburg, IL
    Anyone know where I can get a Spector for cheap? I've been lookin around and all I can find are some for $500+. So please if you know where I can find one, tell me.

2. well, here's a shameless plug. i have one for sale.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218100

i know there used to be some Spectors that went for around $300 (the performance series) and they were the "entry level" basses. but now it looks like the cheapest new spector will be the Legend ($500). if that helps at all :)

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Check ebay....if you want to go Korean made, you can pick up a used Spector Q4 Pro on Epray for under 300....easy.
    Great bass by the way. Defective input jacks but inexpensive to replace.

4. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You could always go with a Kramer NS-2A, looks just like the NS-2's and has a half decent sound. Might want to replace the pick ups but you should be able to find one for around $300

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    A decent Korean Spector can be had for < $500 on ebay. But be sure to include the price of replacing the stock EMG-HZs, tho- that may go over your limit.

I've bought three this month (don't ask- just lost my mind, I guess)- an '89 NS-2A with real EMGs, an almost mint NS-2000/4 Professional, and a new Legend 5. Both the four-stringers are neck-thru and curved body, the Legend is bolt-on. Only the Legend was more than $500.

If you specifically want Spector characteristics and not just a decent bass, I'd save for a while longer and avoid the Performer series if at all possible. Nothing wrong with 'em, but they have neither the sunken Spector bridge nor the body ergonomics, which basically means they're just like any other bolt-neck bass with 3.5" soapbar pups.

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I sold my Professional series Spector off for a SINFUL price. Seriously, I'm really starting to regret letting it go for so little (~250$). They are great little bass even with the EMG HZs -- especially if you like warm midrange.

7. Performer series, Legend series, Professional series, and if you really wanna go cheap, I think OLP has a Spector copy out now.

-ryan-