1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap SS rig, to many options not enough knowledge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soverntear, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Hi,

Thanks for looking, as the title states i'm trying to find a decent ss rig. currently im playing a ibanez sr300fm, and soon im modding up my squire affinity p... well replacing everything but the body on it. im looking for 350-500 watts, something that would have a nice beefy low end. I play raggae and punk mostly. also some suggestions on cabs would be nice. i'm looking to spend around $500-$800. thanks again for your input

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get a used GK head and a 410 if I was in your position.

3. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    i was looking at hartke, gk or ashdown

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    All fine brands.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    As always, Craigslist is your friend. Maybe check the pawn shops and music stores in your area for used gear. You might place an add for what you want and see what pops up. Lots of people selling stuff right now.

6. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    thats a good point to stumbo,
    i do have a crap load of pawn shops to check out around the city.

anyone have any models from hartke, gk or ashdown they have had reasonable sucess with?
    also would it be recommended to get a cab form the same company?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Usually the differences with the heads made by the same company are in wattages, and not so much tone, though sometimes tone can be affected as well...case by case basis.

And you don't have to use a cab made by the same company as the head, although sometimes it can look really odd. GK heads into Hartke cabs are a common standard when you rent gear from a backline company, for example.

8. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    gonna hit up steve's in the next few days and check out some heads, see which cmpany has the balls i need

9. You are in the same boat as me, i Play DC Style Hardcore Punk and Dub Reggae in the Same Band.

I have an old Peavey Mark VI and when you use it with a Bass OD it Was Perfect.

Once you Save Cash Get a Fender Bassman 300 and never Look Back.

I Go With 12's To solely Thrash About, They Stay Clear and Sound HEAVEY!!!

I Dig 15's When Playing Both Styles Back to Back.

I used to Prefer 10's. Then I Started Jamming With Reggae and You Really Need a Larger Speaker.

10. you could also look for an old peavey 700 tour head as well

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have more experience with GK and you cannot go wrong with them, especially the classics: 400Rb and 800RB.

I'd buy one of these two heads (or a good ole Peavey, Ashdown or Hartke) and then go cab hunting, not the other way around.

Used is your friend. Listen with your ears rather than your eyes.

12. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I used a hartke head and 4x10cab for a LONG time in high school and college and it served me well. It had both SS and tube pre amps with separate volumes so you could go ultra-hifi or have some tube warmth. The 10-band graphic eq plus a 2 band shelf really allowed a lot of different tonal possibilities.

I also borrowed a GK setup a few times when playing out of town and I really dug the tone of it.

13. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    totally forgot about peavey, im gonna do some shopping around and see which brand has the tone im looking for. im trying to avoid the hartke's with tube preamps in them. i figure if im going to go tube im going to save up and get an svt

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1

A good Ampeg (or other top manufacturer) 4x10 can be found used for $300-500 and a GK 700RB-II head can be found used in the $400 range.

I still have a SVT, had a Markbass F1 and a Mesa Big Block 750 until recently, have lots of different cabs.... and I do almost all of my gigs with this GK head and a 410. The 410 lately has been a cheap Ampeg 410 I bought used for $350 on Craigslist.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, the Peavey Mark VI is a real sleeper - I actually preferred it over the Mark VIII and the Firebass 700, having owned them, and a Mark III and IV, as well... The Mark VI was clearer voiced than any of the others, and had power beyound it's rating - an excellent SS head that can often be found for $150 US or less...

I'd also recommend both G-K's 700rb and 800rb - both can be had for a reasonable amount, and are considered rock standards...

- georgestrings

17. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    some good suggestions there. the ashdown 1000watt is a nice price, but honestly 1000 watts

18. Peaveys are worth checking out. I'd also have to recommend one of the older Peavey 215 cabs if you can find one. They are dirt cheap and while having a really good low end, they also remain crystal clear in the top end, so you can still get the edge in punk and the rumble for dub.

Peavey amps are also solid in that price range :)

19. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    For just a bit more than your upper bugetary limit, you could get a GK 700rbII (or even a 400rbIV) and a GK Neo112 for brand spankin' new from RMC Audio. You can add another 112 or even a 212 later, and you'll have a nice, modular, smokin' rig...... and a warranty.

I'd say used on this stuff, but I think people are asking too much for their GK heads..... it seems they all base their price off of what GC or MF are selling them. In a couple of cases, I've seen used 700rbII's going for more than what RMC sells them for new.

No brainer to me.

Ljazz

20. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    hmmm might have to check in to RMC.

but while searching the frums with ampeg on the brain I noticed the SVT3pro is going for around my range, same with the svt410hlf any thoughts on this rig vs any of the above suggestions? (i would only go MIA on ampeg gear)

EDIT: just noticed the svt3pro is tube preamp