1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap stoner rock amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rdgldgrn, Jun 1, 2016.

1. I want to be able to achieve a stoner rock tone a al Sleep/Sabbath sounding, I have a standard p bass but I need an amp that can et that tone, big enough to play with a band, but not too expensive. Thanks for the help!

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Both those bands are running expensive gear. Geezer uses/used recently a Hartke kilo head, which has tone very similar to their L500/L1000 amps. Those can be found reasonably-priced.

I find that for stoner rock, the best thing is to get a delay pedal, so every note is about a half-second late.... :sleep::cigar:

spanndrew, Mattrill, csala and 5 others like this.
  3. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    That and a used 810, or a couple heavy 215s.

4. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    I remember reading an interview with Geezer where he talks about how broke they all were recording the first album. He was using a borrowed 4x12 cab with a speaker or two blown and, I think, a Laney guitar head. So while dude is definitely rocking a primo rig these days, he like all of us started out somewhere a bit less posh. What seems important for stoner/doom is volume. That means lots of speaker area and a head that's built to push at least a couple of big cabs. If you're on a budget, used Peavey will get you a lot of cab for not a lot of money. I see cheap Peavey 2x15s all the time on cl near me. Get one with Black Widow speakers and they'll sound damn good if in good condition. Also see big Sunn 15 cabs (4x15, 2x15) for pretty cheap (~$300). The suggestion above for running both an 8x10 and 2x15 is a good one if you can haul around two big boxes. That much speaker area will dooooooom for days. With some patience, you can find Ampeg 8x10s for decent prices used because, while they sound great and get loud, the need for that much cab at that weight is getting less and less every passing year so folks will give them up for good deals. As far as amp heads, Peavey again is a good way to go. Their big old lead sleds like the 400 series, the Centurions, Firebass, etc, etc usually are rated down to a 2 ohm load which means you can run a couple of 4 ohm cabs, which most big cabs you'll find are. Also, old Acoustic amps (the Made in the USA stuff from the 70s/80s not the newer foreign made cheap-o stuff you find all over Guitar Center) can be had pretty cheap used and some of their bigger bass models (like the 370) are rated down to 2 ohms. For all tube, old Fender Bassman 100/135 amps from the 70s can still be had relatively cheaply compared to similar rated tube heads, but tubes are a long term investment because the maintenance costs will run higher even if you do a good deal of the work yourself. Sunn tube heads used to run cheap, but the doom thing blew up that market. Still some deals on Sunn solid state heads like the Coliseum which I think can run two ohms. Another interesting one from the same time period is the Traynor Monoblock which I'm pretty sure is rated 2 ohms.

tightbidness and old spice like this.
  5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    sometimes you can get a 200 watt traynor tube head real cheap and just turn it all the way up, that's what my friend in philadelphia does

Rugmaster and Bassmec like this.
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Valve head, even if its an old PA, lots of or very good speakers. Lots of mids.

7. Reminds me of the Deep Purple story told on Smoke on the Water. Of course being friends with the stones helps out on the borrowed stuff, but some idiot with a flare gun, not so much :D

BboogieXVII and deathness like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cheap but deadly? Ampeg PF350 with the gain cranked. Al Cisneros uses a PF500 in his other band, which is also a good choice, but the PF350 is cheaper by a hundy and still gets pretty good and loud and will dirty up pretty nicely if you crank the gain hard.

AndrewTaran likes this.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    GK is a great bang for the buck, and has plenty of mids.

But best to look for a good used heavy 4x10 - lots of them out there cheap.

Mike A likes this.
  11. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    If tube head is out of your budget then get something loud and clean like a Hartke LH Series head, add a Joyo American Sound pedal in front to get the tube-ish sound. Pair those with a used 810 from Ampeg (or whoever). That's as close as you're going to get without shelling out for an all-tube head.

12. It doesn't really matter, just do a descending Bass tone and get a fuzz pedal. Turn it up loud.

13. omie

omie

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    Can we all agree that a GK 1001RB is the cheapest - loudest amp dollar to dB? I see them for right at or under $400 all of the time. Into 2 410 or 810 ampeg or gk cabs.

14. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Orange - this one's great it seems

friendlybass and J-Dub like this.
  15. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    My rig in my stoner rock band was a cheap Peavey nitrobass 450 And a SWR working man's friend 4x10 with no horn. A Ratty rig but the tone with my Soundgear worked out awesome.

16. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    IMO -- nothing says "Cheap stoner rock bass" like the old aluminum-knob Peavey BASS amps
    0764569_0.
    The series input lets you get truly distasteful amounts of distortion going on.

Then all you needs is a big, ugly speaker cab...or better yet, TWO big, ugly speaker cabs
    (the amp above is 2-ohm capable).

17. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    I had the opportunity to try an EVO 500 head by Ashdown and the tube drive along the sub-harmonic generator makes it a great amp for stoner/doom stuff IMO.
    Might not be THAT cheap but it's common enough on the used market.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  18. Peavey was my first thought as well. There's a Bass 400 in your area on CL (no affiliation):
    Peavey Bass Head

19. What? Agree on TB? Are you one a them trolls? (joking) :D

Same size Carvin BX700 is under $400 new. That's not to say that would be the best choice, it's kind of apples to oranges, Carvin needs a 2 ohm load to use the full 700 Watts and does not biamp if that is desirable. Have to go up to a larger amp to get a Carvin with built in biamp. But then you'd have an adjustable crossover and as many watts available to both channels or more. YMMV

20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I Like the Peavey

47VevetS likes this.