Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap strings on ebay

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Asaf, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    well...i saw these DADI strings on ebay and the ALICE or whatever selling on ebay and wondered if anyone tried them ?
    DADI
    ALICE

2. beware of buying cheap strings on ebay. i bought some only to find that they were seriously 10 inches too long for any of my three 36" scale bass. and you couldnt just cut the string down to size either. :bawl:

EDIT! i just went back through my ebay purchases and discovered that the cheap bass strings i bought are DADI. so unless you can get some assurance that they will be the right length for your bass i would stay well clear of them!

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i checked the feedback of this guy who sells them and saw something about the strings being too long.
    too long for 36" ?! wow... :confused:
    from the cheap strings i only tried Hartke and they suck, and copley - they are the crappiest thing i ever tried.

4. as i said above they are ridiculously long - maybe 10 or 15 inches too long. when i got mine i almost threw them straight in the bin. however i was feeling patient and decided to try and make them fit. the reason you cant just cut them to size is that the thin part of the end of the string that you usually thread into the hole in the tuning peg is the part you have to cut off.
    so if you want to make them fit you have to cut them to size and then unwind the wire that surrounds the core of the string - about as much fun as a kick in the pants.
    its not worth the effort :bawl:
    buy some d'addarios they last forever and sound fantastic :hyper:

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    no man, i'll stick with the Rotosound ROTOBASS strings, they are cheap and great on my basses :bassist: ,
    but thanks for the warning :) .

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    on a related note, has anyone bought a trusted brand of strings on ebay?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've bought D'Addario's on eBay :)

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ah, cool. i've located some ...umm... DR's... that are uh....

ah, crap.

i blew my secret source of cheap strings.

:p

9. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have bought Rotosounds from ebay for my Steinberger, and my OLP currently dines on a set of Copleys that were purchased from Ebay. Unlike Asaf above, I like the Copleys, and a friend of mine also uses the Copleys..

That said, I gave a set to Bud and he didn't care for them..soo

Worst strings I ever got were Everly bass Rockers...bleh

10. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    you liked them ? they are very weird...they don't feel like regular nickel strings...the B string was ok...but still they were something between nickel and stainless steel...died fast.
    but if the deal works for you then it's cool man...it costs like 7$ a set.

11. Bought a set of Rotosound Jazz Bass Heavy Gauge Flatwound (my first set of flats EVER :meh: :meh: ) on eBay at a VERY reasonable price and I am loving them. :D :D

12. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i bought the Rotosound ROTOBASS from an ebay store they cost 14$ a set...i tried many brands, but these work the best on my Jazzbass.

13. Here's my secret to cheap strings,
    http://www.webstrings.com/

They are no name brand, but they are pretty good, and made in the US.

$10.50 for 4 string sets, $11.50 for 5 string sets, $12.50 for 6 string sets.

They have bulk discounts, and free shipping if you order over $12 worth of strings.

The strings aren't in bulk packaging, they are packaged just like any normal package you'd go to GC or wherever and buy.

Also if you buy in bulk, and want to exchange some packages for a different guage they'll arrange that for you.

14. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    do they feel or sound similar to other brand strings ?

15. They seem really similar to D'addarios.