1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marklikesbass, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Marklikesbass

Marklikesbass Guest

Jun 26, 2001
    Houston, TX, USA
    I recently bought a new Ibanez SR390 and am learning my way around it. A couple of weeks ago I restrung it with "Pro S Series" super lights (40 - 95) that I bought for $3/set. Brook Mays (www.brookmays.com) carries these online for the same $3. I figured if they sounded like ropes I'd just cut them off and no big loss, but they sound pretty good to my (admittedly untrained) ear. They seem to hold a sustain pretty well. After all the posts I've been reading in the strings section, I'm kinda interested in trying a set of the GHS Boomers or DR Hi Beams, just to see the difference, but the bassist in our church's praise band plays alongside of musicians with 10 - 25 years' experience, and uses these $3 strings, and nobody's complaining.

Has anyone else tried these, or the MusicYo ($5.99/set) bass strings?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Wow, I thought Ernie Balls were cheap at $16 a set! I notice however, that their bass prices on an RBX260 and an Ibanez GSR100 seemed pretty steep.

But to answer your original question, no, I haven't tried either of these string sets.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I have GHS Boomers on my four and five string. The set on my four string is decent, the set I had before was so good except for the A-string. The set on my five string is except for the B-string :p

4. _steVeo_84

_steVeo_84

Nov 28, 2000
    Damn! $3??? $16???
    I'm in Australia, and the cheapest set of strings around here (that I could find at the local store) is around $30. And they go right up to like $100 or something. Where the hell are you getting $3 strings from? (thats around about $6 here)

5. Smart move :)
    Specially with cheaper basses the factory-strings are either crummy quality or they're put on the bass in a way that makes a grown man cry.

No doubt cheap strings can sound good too..
    If you play for a couple of years, and tried out all kinds of strings, you'll pick out a brand that fits you perfectly.

I always use " Charly stringer's snarling dogs " strings, which in Holland are 90 Guilders ( uhm.. 30 / 35 dollar ? ). those are pretty expensive, but they sound sweeeeeet :)