Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marklikesbass, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Marklikesbass

Marklikesbass Guest

Jun 26, 2001
    Houston, TX, USA
    I recently bought a new Ibanez SR390 and am learning my way around it. A couple of weeks ago I restrung it with "Pro S Series" super lights (40 - 95) that I bought for $3/set. Brook Mays (www.brookmays.com) carries these online for the same $3. I figured if they sounded like ropes I'd just cut them off and no big loss, but they sound pretty good to my (admittedly untrained) ear. They seem to hold a sustain pretty well. After all the posts I've been reading in the strings section, I'm kinda interested in trying a set of the GHS Boomers or DR Hi Beams, just to see the difference, but the bassist in our church's praise band plays alongside of musicians with 10 - 25 years' experience, and uses these $3 strings, and nobody's complaining.

Has anyone else tried these, or the MusicYo ($5.99/set) bass strings?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Wow, I thought Ernie Balls were cheap at $16 a set! I notice however, that their bass prices on an RBX260 and an Ibanez GSR100 seemed pretty steep.

But to answer your original question, no, I haven't tried either of these string sets.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I have GHS Boomers on my four and five string. The set on my four string is decent, the set I had before was so good except for the A-string. The set on my five string is except for the B-string :p

4. _steVeo_84

_steVeo_84

Nov 28, 2000
    Damn! $3??? $16???
    I'm in Australia, and the cheapest set of strings around here (that I could find at the local store) is around $30. And they go right up to like $100 or something. Where the hell are you getting $3 strings from? (thats around about $6 here)

5. Smart move :)
    Specially with cheaper basses the factory-strings are either crummy quality or they're put on the bass in a way that makes a grown man cry.

No doubt cheap strings can sound good too..
    If you play for a couple of years, and tried out all kinds of strings, you'll pick out a brand that fits you perfectly.

I always use " Charly stringer's snarling dogs " strings, which in Holland are 90 Guilders ( uhm.. 30 / 35 dollar ? ). those are pretty expensive, but they sound sweeeeeet :)