Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Substitute for Boss FS-5U pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Jan 3, 2004.

1. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I need a Boss FS-5U external footswitch to use in conjunction with a couple of Boss pedals I have. Musicians friend wants almost $30.00 for one of these things?!? I need 2 of them but don't want to have to cough up $60.00 to get them.

Is there a less expensive substitute I could use that would serve the same purpose as the Boss footswitch?

Thanks.

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I use a cheap sustain pedal from Radio Shack with my Boss DD-5 for tap tempo, and I havn't had a problem with it (I think it was like $8 or so...). If you want better quality, you could build some for the price of some decent switches, and a little metal enclosure (as well as some jacks and a bit of wire). I've done this also with good results (though I used cheap parts and eventually it fell apart on me).

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends what it's made of, is the switch you need momentary? (I would assume it is) and if it is they can be had pretty cheap. If you can find me a wiring diagram, I can look for parts and let you know on prices.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Is there a less expensive substitute I could use that would serve the same purpose as the Boss footswitch?

There are quite a few cheaper substitutes. I use an old Fender 2 switch unit from an old solid state amp, works fine for Roland and Boss gear that specs the FS-5.
    FS-5U is unlatched (momentary), FS-5L is latched (one click=on, next click=off).

You just need two NO (normally open), SPST (single pole, single throw) momentary closed switches. You can get cheapies at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks, or good quality Carling switches from Parts Express or Mouser. Mount those in a Hammond or Bud aluminum or plastic box, wire the correct jack configuration (which varies), and you should be down about 30 bucks, tops.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

Nobles FS-2U
    Dual Unlatched Footswitch.
    Use just one TRS cable.