1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap svt-cl clones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dnegreiro, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dnegreiro

dnegreiro

Feb 28, 2007
    what's a cheap alternative to an svt-cl clone? or does anyone have the schematics so I can build my own?

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I guarantee it would be much more expensive to build one yourself. :eyebrow:

3. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    How cheap do you mean? To me $800 for an SVT-II is a cheap alternative to a SVT-CL. Or $325-600 for a V4 or V4B.

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Ive never seen and SVT clone that was cheaper, always more expensive. I guess people say you can get pretty close to the tone with a sansamp. Maybe a sansamp and a power amp would be considered a cheap copy.

5. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, I don't know about the cost of building one off hand, but there apparently is information about building an SVT clone (among other amps) in this book "The Ultimate Tone Volume III" by Kevin O'Connor. Read the description here:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts.../elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=B-891

Unless you really have the interest and experience to build one of these things I would abide by the others' suggestions. Lots of high voltage in an SVT (600 volt power supply). Another alternative is to build just the preamp portion and buy a rack mount SS power amp. Not exact but pretty close.