Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap T-Bird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daywalker, Sep 19, 2005.

What would you do?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2005.
  1. Hell's yeah I'd go for it, you only live once!

44 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. No way, ya don't need another bass anyways!

18 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What's up peoples? I was lookin around in a local "Mom & Pop" music store over the weekend. They sold mostly guitars, but they had a brand new T-Bird hangin high up on the wall. When I asked about it, the guy said that he only gets guitar players into his shop and no one would ever buy it. He said he'd sell it to me at his cost ($1150) plus tax just to get rid of it. I don't have much experience with these basses, but that sounded like a deal since Guitar Center sells em for like $1700. Even if you didn't need it, would you buy it if you could? Thanks...

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Looks like you'd rather have a NT Thumb 5. Why not save the extra few hundred and buy one new....or spend the same amount on a used one?

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I agree with the Phunky rodent. T-Birds are pretty much one-trick ponies (in terms of both sound and looks), no use in dropping over a grand on something you can only use in a limited number of situations. Go with the 'wick after you save up some cash. That said, if you really wanted a T-Bird, buy an Epiphone.

4. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    my rule of thumb: always take a good deal! who know's... the chance may never come again! seize the moment! go for it!

5. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

We ARE talking about a Gibson? Not an Ephiphone copy? Right?
    If I had the cash And I could snag the bass with out feeling the pinch (on my wallet or from my old lady) I probably would, just to have it. Even though the scale is WAY too long for me.
    I had a 1 pickup original back in the '70s and it was too long then.
    but now I probably would grab it just to have.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    If you love the way it SOUNDS and PLAYS , get it, if not, not.

I like T-birds but, I do find them a bit impractical in terms of playability, but I like how they sound so I made my own T-bird with a heavier body and a lighter neck, it gets the sound [even though it has a P pickup] and doesn't do head dives.

Personally I find the "one trick pony" argument silly [especially if you already own other basses], in the end it's all in your hands.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Yes, it IS the Gibson version not the Epiphone. I've played one maybe twice, and I really liked the tone. I like to tap and slap and everything else, so the versitility issue is also holding me back. I'm also kinda tired of holding out for the right NT Thumb 5. When I wasn't looking for one, they were all over. Now that I'm ready to buy one, I can't find a used one anywhere. Oh well, guess that's how it goes...

8. if you can afford it, go for it!

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say have a pro check the neck and stuff first. I am not much for Gibsons on fingerstyle, they tend to sound really muddy. With a pick however, you can get some really cool tones. Given your lineup it sounds to me like you need a fretless or ABG.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you want it, then buy it. If you don't really want it, just think it's a good deal, then pass on it. Money spent on something you don't want is wasted money. Even with the chance of doing a little better than breaking even I'd pass unless I actually wanted an instrument. The odds of making money on a good deal are not that great.

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Gotta ask yourself if you REALLY want it, or you're just attracted to the deal. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but usually, somewhere in your bass-heart, you know.

12. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Honestly, I think I'm more attracted to the deal. It sure was sexy though I can tell ya that...

13. My left hand got dang tired supporting my Tbird. I wheeled it. Looks cool, but......

14. If you can get a GIBSON T'bird IV for $1100, WHAT ARE YOU WATING FOR???? Screw the "one trick pony" nonsense!!! Are you a BASSPLAYER or NOT???? They are a ONE TRICK PONY because they don't HAVE to do anything else except what they do!!!

I'm STILL waiting on my Gibson T'Bird Studio bass!!! You'll have yours before I have mine!!!

15. Im tired of all this Tbird being a one trick pony bull****.

If you cant get a Tbird to be more than "Thunder", I dont think you can EQ very well. Ive gotten almost Rickenbacker treble out of mine(ALmost, ALMOST), And it has the stock pups at that.

Tbird's are for orck only??? NO!!!

Ive seen Tbirds used for jazz and pop on more than one occasion. Hell, I think seeing a Bird in a Jazz band is alot more normal than seeing an Elrick or Fodera in a metal band(Which I have with the Fodera, A singlecut one at that).

Please stop the Tbird bashing, If you give them time they are worth it down to the nano second(?).

16. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Buy it, and sell it for about $300 more, make some profit.

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Step 1 - Purchase T-Bird at dealer cost.
    Step 2 - Have System Of A Down be HUGE at this particular moment.
    Step 3 - Something to do with underpants.
    Step 4 - Sell during seller's market.
    Step 5 - PROFIT!

18. *chants* Underpants Underpants, Underpants Underpants.

Que Tweak?

Edit: I Should put something towards the thread :D I say buy the T-bird, if you love it then keep it, if you don't like it sell it, I am not familiar with prices over there (except that they are darn cheap) but i am sure you could make a profit, just keep that baby in perfect nick while you own it.

19. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    GC and most other places sell them for about $1700, that's why I'm thinkin of buying it just because...

20. I'd say sit down and play it and see how you like it. If you look around the internet and wherever you can I've seen used TBirds in basically new condition going for $1200. A lot of the prices get dropped on them because they're extremely hit or miss and it takes the right person to really be looking for the sound and feel. I'd say go for it if you know that it's the bass for you. Unless of course you have $1200 to get rid of, then I'd say do it for sure. I would in a second if I had that kind of cash to play with :D