Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap, temporary power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 2, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm looking for a cheap power amp to use for a couple of months until I can afford a new head. Something between 500-800 watts bridged at 8 ohms. I'm wanting to spemd 100-200 bucks max. I'm just gonna be using my Peavey Mark III as a preamp until then, so I figure I'll just find a cheaper and efficient power amp. I've already looked at the Nady SPA 850, but I've been told that I should stay away from them.

~Patrick

2. look at carvin power amps,there really good power amps and there cheap because there no middle man.

sorry my m wasnt working

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nothing. Their 600 watt amp is 319. I'm wanting to keep it cheap so I can justify getting a temporary amp.

~patrick

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I didn't see any that fit in my price range. Plus shipping would suck since I am in the US.

~Patrick

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Watch eBay for odd ball amps. I just sold a Roland 240W amp on eBay for $125. In this price range you find the amps with power, but weigh a ton.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You say you want cheap... You say you want temporary... Well son, here you go... Cheap & (I'm sure) very temporary ;):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569945174&category=14983

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568594309&category=23787

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568889275&category=14983

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568405760&category=14983

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569425402&category=14983

7. 1) QSC MX 700 - 450 watts bridged into 8 ohms

2) Crown PowerBase1 - 455 watts bridged into 8 ohms

You could buy either one on ebay for under $200.

The advantage to these amplifiers is the fact that they are made by respectable companies, and their market value fully depreciated. If you buy and sell smart, you won't lose anything if you sell it later.

The disadvantage to buying a new, no - name (no offense to anyone) amp is that they are worth practically nothing if you sell them. Also, their power ratings are rather optimistic and often exaggerated.

FWIW
    -b
    :)

8. ;) :)

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    :( Sorry, I should have included a ;) in my previous post. unless xcental34x is looking to buy used (which I hope he is), there's nothing out there (at least not that I'm aware of) with 500 to 800 watts (RMS) for under $200.

Peace,

- Frank.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If it's just going to be for a couple months, you might want to see if you can just rent one somewhere.

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What kind of cabinet do you have?

Are you using more than one cabinet?

Have you taken a look at what is on www.musicgoround.com ?

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    i'm considering used, but Billy up at Guitar Center is now offering me a deal on an amp. So I may be willing to go upto 300.

I'm using a GK 410RBH now, 800 watts rms and 8 ohms. I took a quick look at the QSC RMX 850 and Crown XLS 402. The QSC is 600 watts at 8 ohms, and Crown is 800. I'm wanting it to last, because my friend has expressed interest in buying it off me when I get my new head. As for now I'm just using a Peavey Mark III (130 watts at 4 ohms, God knows what at 8 ohms).

~Patrick

13. Pyramid is pure feces. If you are looking for a decent amp, I'd consider the Crown XLS 202. It can be had for $199-$250 brand new.

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why?

If you just need a bit more power for a few months (though I can't really understand why) and then want to downsize to a simple (but more expensive) head (with, I presume, a similar amount of power) you'd definitely be best buying something that's fully depreciated otherwise it's going to end up costing you an annoying amount. Get an antique Crown and then you'll be able to sell it again without any loss - if you buy anything new you'll lose money on the deal.

But really, the more important questions are what do you have now, what are its deficiencies, what do you want in a few months times, and why do you want a 'temporary power amp' in the interim period?

Confused!

Alex