1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Tone Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick_no7, Apr 13, 2006.

1. So I think I've decided on criteria for the amp I want, and I was wanting your opinions since I respect all you helpful people so much. Here is a list of decisions and information to help you suggest some things for myself.

- Under $500
    - I don't need massive wattage, nothing over 300 watts really
    - I plan on using either a 4x10, or a 1x15 with a 2x10 on top
    - I'd prefer it solid state without a tube pre-amp
    - I have to have an EQ that actually changes the tones when you spin the knobs
    - non-rack mount
    - not Behringer(personal preferance)

The main thing is I'm looking for is clarity. I like tight punch in my lows, and snappy highs that ring forever. I pretty much scoop my tone so mids aren't as important to me. Warmth is also not a big issue with me, as I put more emphasis on definition of notes.

I play alot of Flea-esque funk slap. I also like to roll down the bass, up the trebble and play some mellow finger style improv.

My ideal amp would be a Thunderfunk 550... but alas I won't have the funds to buy even a used one. I am leaning towards a 400RB-IV at the moment, do you guys think it'd meet my goals?

Any help is appreciated :bassist:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    See my geeky review of the GK Backline 600 head. It really fits your description, including being designed for scooped mids from the git-go. You can also dial it flat.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    GK might suit you, and when you decide that you're ready to have some body (i.e. mids) to your tone, they are there, and they're spectacular. I have a 400RB-III that I don't really see selling, no matter what comes my way.