1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Trick Bass Player: Tom Petersson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cerrem, Oct 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM.

1. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I always love to listen to Cheap Trick...seen them live many years ago and remember he had a HUGE sound...
    I am just fascinated with the bass player...
    Not only is he good but he uses that bass with all those strings....
    Trying to understand what bass he uses and how all those strings....
    What is that bass ??
    Thanks in advance...

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    12-string bass... four courses, with four bass strings plus two octave strings in unison. Tom also uses a mix of amps to get clean lows and distorted mids and highs. Altogether, it produces a huge sound.

GregC, Arthur U. Poon, cerrem and 3 others like this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass Plasma Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Yeh, I thought about buying one of his signature 12-strings, but then I didn't end up winning the lotto...

GregC and cerrem like this.
  4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Kinda the same concept as a 12 string guitar, where you've got root/octave pairs of strings, except with 2 octave strings per root string.

Currently uses a Gretsch. During Cheap Trick's peak he played a couple of different Hamers, and I think he used a custom Chandler for a while, too.

12 string bass tone is pretty huge all by itself, and as stated above he also does the multi-amp clean+distortion tone thing on top of that.

cerrem likes this.
  5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    In the old days: Live he used a Hamer 12-String...From what I understand, in the studio he played 4-, 8-, and 12-string but mostly his Rickenbacker 4003S8 8-string was opted for most songs with the 12ver sparsely used in recordings but evident on certain tracks

EDIT: I owned a Hamer 12-string in the 90s - loved it and want to get another....Several TB members have them...I currently have a fake "Hawer" 12-String which sucks but looks kinda cool :D

12ver_Hawer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    cerrem and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. Although he's with Gretsch now, Waterstone returned this year to offer more affordable 12-String basses (4-strings, triple coursed). Watch their Reverb store.

Waterstone Musical Instruments, LLC

At the moment, it seems they only have the TP-8 (4-strings double-coursed), but I imagine they're awaiting the next batch of TP-12's.

cerrem likes this.
  7. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Just to clarify, a 12 string guitar has a root octave pair for the bottom three or four strings and a unison pair for the top two or three. I think it might be 3/3.

8. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass Plasma Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    No wonder I can never tune those damn things! :)

9. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Lots of broken strings?

nbsipics likes this.
  10. briandavismurph

briandavismurph Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    This might help
    Premier guitar rig rundown

cerrem and woodyng2 like this.
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tom said in interviews early on there was to much bass and low end in the clubs they played. He wanted to make a big guitar sound like a baritone more like a low end guitar than a bass.

12. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I spend at least as much time playing 12 string guitar as I do bass. A normal 12 string set has octave pairs on the low E, A, D, and G, with unison pairs on the B and high e. Some folks like to go unison on the G as well...reduces jangle, but you usually have to go buy an extra .020 for that setup, plus opening the nut a little on the 6th string.

13. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Q. How long does it take to tune a 12 string?
    A. Nobody knows.

14. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Meh... my Hamer Chaparral 12 stays in tune as well as my other basses.

Changing strings, however, is an adventure....

SpazzTheBassist likes this.