1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap True Bypass Octave? (OC-2 Mod?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, Oct 24, 2013.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Here's my dilemma (not much of one but bear with me)

I use my Pigtronix Disnortion a lot for its lower gain settings. The Overdrive is a great touch-sensitive OD and the Fuzz circuit is a great gritty boost. For me at least.

I really like using it after my Boss OC-2 but am concerned that the buffered clean isn't letting my true signal pass through and while that means a bit of a push it still leads me to have a different experience than without it on my pedalboard.

Here are my questions:

1. which other sub-$100 used octave pedals are on the market with true bypass?

2. a) Should I consider modding the pedal to make it true bypass? b) How difficult a mod is this for a newb?

For now I'm going to put it AFTER my dirt to have a sub blend, but I'm seriously considering trading it for something that will work.

Thanks in advance,

.r.

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    If truebypass is an issue why not get a truebypass looper and place the OC-2 in there? That way if it doesn't end up making a difeerence then all you did is get a TB looper which are useful regardess. Mods for truebypass on Boss pedals are difficult (from my understanding)

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    At this point it's pedalboard real estate.

Unless someone gives me different news, the mod is off the table. Thanks a boatload, sillyfabe. I sometimes turn the octave knobs both down all the way and crank the 'clean' for the buffer itself. It sounds great and would continue to do so after dirt.

While I love my OC-2 tone, I also like the EHX Octave Multiplexer.

I am sure I'll find other options.