1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Cheap Tube Head

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by mike_v_s, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pignose B-100V Tube Head - $350 (shipped)

Features:
    100 watts (4 6l6's)
    volume, treble, mid, bass, presence (note there is not a master volume)
    4 and 8 ohm jacks
    effects loop
    ~40 lbs.

I could go on and on about how much I like this head, but i'm selling it...so why would I say any different? Instead, read these links and draw your own conclusions:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2180658

Probably the most descriptive of those listed would be this one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165418&highlight=pignose+b-100v

I pretty much agree with Tom Bowlus' assessment with one exception. The tone controls are quite effective on this head when paired with my SWR Basic 2-Way (as opposed to the combo version he describes). My only guess is that his impression was more a factor of the speaker used rather than the head...but that's just a guess.

It gets quite loud, but conventional wisdom will tell you this is probably not the head for a loud rock band. It cut through fairly well at practice when paired with the 1X15 cabinet mentioned above.

Issues: 2 of the tone controls are missing the knob caps. Those same two knobs appear to be very slightly bent, but turn no stiffer than the others. The tubes "tink" at warm up (that would be onomatopoeia...definition to be found here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=onomatopoeia). This effect stops after a few minutes. I've been told this is probably tube microphony. I've used it like this with no ill effects. Cosmetically: pretty good, but not perfect.

I'd be happy to email pictures, if needed. Again, price is $350 (shipped). Quite a bargain when you consider the new word you learned while reading this ad. PayPal strongly preferred. I've only dealt with 2 TBers in the past, and none since the new rating system...but everyone that knows me says I'm the nicest, most honest and most handsome (and physically perfect) person walking the face of this planet. Plus, I've had a beer with Tim Cole. Trades not really wanted...but I'll entertain them.

Mike

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    On the tube tinkleing, me Mesa 400+ gets it too. Its normal for tubes to do this during warm up.

3. Thanks....I did not know that. This was my first tube head and I wasn't sure what was considered normal.

Mike

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That may very well be the case. And for what it's worth, I really loved that combo amp. If space wasn't an issue (and I didn't already own a killer 100w all-tube 1x15 combo!), I would have kept mine for sure.

Bump for a great tube head and a great seller! :)

Tom.

5. .
    $325 (and I'll change my signature to reflect your kindness and super-acute gear shopping skills)

Mike

6. Amp is on HOLD until Monday PM while my computer gets an enema and a potential buyer mulls over the best decision of his life (OK...slight exaggeration).

Mike

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll send a pm to get in line... possibly.

8. SOLD!

Thank you, Czar. In case you were wondering....if Czar's gear purchasing prowess were in the shape of a fist, you'd have two black eyes right now.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.