1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap violin bass Rogue v. Brice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Ok, these violin basses look like fun. I'd like to try one to mess around with and obviously I don't want to spend the $$ for a Hofner.
    So, I'm looking at a Rogue and a Brice. Here's what I see on the surface...Brice, sold by Rondo Music. I own a SX P-bass and it's pretty nice for the price. Plus, the Brice bass looks a little sharper but is higher priced $249.00.
    The Rogue, cheaper $199 plus until 10/31, MusiciansFriend is offering a $50 rebate which would allow me to buy a hardshell case.
    That's the extent of my knowledge on these two basses.

I've read some reviews on MF and Harmony-Central, but I trust my fellow bassists here more.

Any help would be appreciated my brothers and sisters in bass.

2. i've got a Rogue Hofner violin bass copy, i bought it because it's actually a pretty nice instrument...
    i preferred it over the other similar offerings (Epi and Hofner Icon)....

3. Fab4ever

Fab4ever

Nov 28, 2005
    I have your answer.

Rondo actually sells a cheaper Beatle bass -- this $149 Douglas brand:

http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebvs.html

I have it and was shocked at how good it is. Mind you, I'm a guitarist-who-sometimes-plays-bass, so keep that in mind. But after I put flats on it, this baby really plays well and allows me to get those Beatlesque tones. I couldn't be happier.

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    if you are buying new, then yes both of those suggestions are pretty good copies with good tone..etc...

BUT:

..... DILLION is another copy company...if you are looking to find one UNDER 200 used, and are willing to look around..here's my cherryburst I paid 150 for:

P1010326.
    P1010323.
    P1010324.

only thing on mine that is not stock is the real Hofner tailpiece. Sounds very good, plays equally as well.

naturally this is a used unit, and not "instantly" available in stores as it was discontinued years ago ( BUT STILL CHEAP TO BUY )

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I can't comment on the Rogue or Brice models, but the Epi Viola basses I've tried have all sounded and played surprisingly well. None of the Hofner Icons I've picked up had quite the same level of tone or quality feel to them. Personally I'm not a fan of the over-bright flame maple of the Epi, but it definitely played quite nice. I've also played the Eastwood Club bass a few times, which is very similar to a violin bass (it's a replica of the hofner Club which is shaped more like a les paul), and for the price, it plays pretty terribly.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find a Jay Turser. Cheap, but to me, it plays better than the Icon, or the Epiphone model.

7. The Epi Viola is really nice; I found it more solid than the Icon; no switches.

8. I respect RickenBoogie's obserbvations (probably because he's often right) and may have to try the Turser; got to have one of these things in the arsenal, right? Besides, this is the era I started playing in.