1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheap warm OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by korey L, Oct 1, 2010.

1. korey L

korey L

Jul 21, 2010
    This is simple. Im looking for the warmest overdrive around thats 100 or less. I play all styles of rock

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    That's pretty subjective, but for what it is worth, check out GC blowing out their Way Huge Pork Loin

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698407

I have one coming my self, and from the clips I have heard and the reviews I read, it sounds like what you are looking for, at least based on your description...;)

Good Luck!

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    danelectro cool cat

4. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    Digitech Bad Monkey

5. Holy crap! I LOVED my Pork Loin but ended up having to sell it...been planning on getting another one. Awesome!

6. odb-3

7. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Visual Sound Open Road

8. Ooo... I love talking about overdrives since I'm currently on the search for "The Perfect Overdrive!" :D Haven't found it yet though. ;) I own a Pork Loin, but my most current are the Catalinbread SFT and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine.

A couple mini reviews for you:

Pork Loin: For GC's current price, the Pork Loin is a STEAL. I paid regular price for mine and it's still a gem at $169. I didn't know I wanted one until my contact at GC suggested one when I was bored one day and stopped in for "something new." :rollno: lol It's pretty transparent and doesn't color your sound. It's classified as a low- to mid-gain pedal, but it's got a good amount of crunch available... more than I'll ever use anyway. The controls are great, the Curve knob on the outside does a nice job of smoothing or edging up your sound and there are three trim pots inside to sculpt your sound even more.

Way Huge Pork Loin - Various Drive settings

Catalinbread SFT: It lived up to the hype I read around Talkbass. It's a great low- to mid-gain overdrive that can still get much-more-than-you-think-it's-got crunch. Normally I dial off some treble (10:00) and boost the bass (2:00) for a just barely overdriven sound, but I used it just last weekend to almost get the fuzz sound on Dance To The Music (Sly & the Family Stone, at about 1:16 if you care to check it out). The SFT is quite touch sensitive... play light to play clean and dig in to jump right into overdrive. Or you could use your volume knob on your bass to control the drive, but I'm one of those guys whose volume knob is always at 100%.

The videos on the Catalinbread SFT site pretty much tell you what it's all about.

Liquid Sunshine: I just got it yesterday and haven't had much time with it, but can already tell it's a keeper. The internal bass boost switch is what makes this overdrive (pardon the pun) shine. It's a tasty overdrive without it, but turning it on thickens/warms up the sound nicely. Another trick with the Sunshine are the dual drive controls... top knob for full range, add the bottom knob to dial in the mids and highs to get a great grindy crunch. This is another low- to mid-gain overdrive that does a great barely there overdrive, but still has a good amount of drive.

Sorry, no clips of the Sunshine yet.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a clear winner... The SFT has better controls and the Sunshine is more simple, but the Sunshine is also a little smoother, not quite as harsh. While both are more expensive than the Pork Loin, they're both warmer too. If you can/are willing to spend a few more bucks, it's totally worth it IMO.

Now for my surprise recommendation...........

Hartke Bass Attack. No, seriously. I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at this one, but I won it from Larry Hartke himself on Facebook and was TOTALLY surprised. At $89 (new), you get an overdrive, EQ, Hartke's Shape Circuit and DI all in one box. SUPER handy. And you know what? The overdrive sounds great and can get HUGE. Like, it'll eat your speakers for breakfast huge. Check out this clip... on the fourth time through, I had to dial the Level knob back to TWO. The Bass Attack can get a little complicated, but with that comes a lot of control.

Hartke Bass Attack - Various settings

Hope some of that helps at least a little! :)

5sg.

9. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    As always on TB total agreement on what works best..........

10. LOL

For sure, right? ;)

5sg.

11. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Foreword: I hate pretty much all Behringer products. I'd never buy a Behringer amp.

But their VT999 Tube overdrive is actually really good. I don't use distortion on bass, but used it when I used to play guitar in a band. And they're only like $30.

12. I traded a Boss CS-3 for a Bad Monkey.
    Let's just say, I am happy with the deal.

S

13. pork loin

14. Hmm hmm hmmm... I've got a few bucks to GC that I need to get rid of. Maybe the pork loin is just what I'm looking for. Honestly can't find much used there for very much less that's in the same ballpark...

15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    + 1 more for the bacon.

16. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I stopped in to recommend the Bad Monkey, but seeing that Pork Loin Price I'd say to grab that! Very tempted to grab one again myself. Loved the one I tried a while ago, but needed something a little more HiFi and aggressive so went with an Xotic Bass BB.

For under $100 I think you either grab that Pork Loin, or a Bad Monkey...

17. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    I really like the Pork Loin also, not so much the size of the pedal or the graphics font though.

18. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    +1 piggy!

19. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Well, i picked up my pork loin today, and I am really liking what I hear so far. i didn't have too much time to play with it, but i found a sound I like pretty quickly. One concern I have is that with my wall wart (an old boss one), it is a bit noisy (but i probably wouldn't notice it with the band). With a battery, it is very quiet. It could be the wart, my power bar, or my house so i need to try and figure out if it is normal or not. I don't have much experience with effects/pedals, so it could be normal and my OCD is working overtime....;)

I have practice tomorrow night, so I am looking forward to hearing it in the mix.

IMO, it qualifies as a cheap, warm OD, at least with the GC sale it does now...;)

20. I think the pork loin's look is sexy. Love the metal pink casing style, color, knobs and font.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021