cheap washburn=decent bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barrymccockiner, Jul 13, 2005.

1. hey guys
    first post. im a new bass player. I got kicked off guitar (played fast but struggled with chords). I was strolling through a used music shop i spotted a used solid purple washburn bass 4 string for $120. Looked like a cheap bass, but there was zero string buzz, it was easy to play, and worked when plugged in. Is there anything else i should be concerned about? Is there any tricks to see how well it will stay in tune?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's probably a good deal. Most Washburns I see are decent and some are actually very good.
  3. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    you quit because you strugled with chords........... :meh:
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had trouble with chords too. Thankfully, on the bass, double stops go a long ways. :bassist:
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I had trouble with chords when I started guitar but it didnt stop me from learning the instrument , challenge comes with the territory of learning an instrument.

Now I play guitar as well as bass and have no problem with chords , and I can do double stops and other chords on my bass with ease.
  6. yeah your right Mr. Insound, but if im going to dedicate MORE of my time to an instrument, it's not going to be one a trillion people play already, good guitar players are dime a dozen. So i offered to switch instruments. So anybody else know about washburns?
  7. My first bass was a Washburn XB100 Bantam series. It was about the same price as the one you mentioned and it held up well. I say go for it, especially if it plays well.
  8. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    you dont have to switch to bass just because you were having trouble with guitar. you should really think about it before you make the plunge and decide which instrument is better for you, or if you like both too much, you could play both, and end up spending all your money on gear... :bawl:
  9. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    The 'burn will get you started, they have nice necks for the money, easy to play. Make sure it's the one with 2 pickups - the XB100 only has one, I think - you'll find with a band that it is a bit lightweight in terms of its sound, but there's nothing wrong with it for $120.
  10. yeah your right too, not selling my guitar, amp, or processor. still playing lead on Roll over Beethoven whenever we have a show, so im not putting it down completely. Thanks everybody i appreciate all of your input. Can't pick up the bass till saturday so feel free to keep posting...
  11. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    cheap yamaha>cheap washburn
  12. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
  13. I could understand if you left out the word 'good,' because guitarists are pretty popular (though realistically likely only one in 15 people in the US, not to lose sight of the fact that dime a dozen is just an expression) but you put 'good' in. Don't feel discouraged if you can't play guitar as well as others yet. Most of the skill that the majority of guitarists get are gained in their first two years, and then they all become the same, so no matter how much of a noob you think you are, it doesn't matter. What matters is if it is important to you. THAT is what will make the difference between you and them a few years from now.

And yes, I am advocating that you still play long as you still do bass of course. :D
  14. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I look for wood's first - Alder/Ash body, and Maple neck.

Seems to be the standard nowadays.

The other components come secondary.
  15. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My first bass was a Washburn CB-150 (Which is now the XB-100) and it served me well. I still have it actually. Compared to low end Ibanez and the like, IMO the low end Washburns are better. I actually changed the pickup in that bass and it's pretty awesome now even if the action is a little higher than my others, but still pretty good after a little tweaking. Mine has a solid Alder Body with a very nice birdseye maple neck (surprising for a low end bass like this one!)

As good of a value as that low end Washburn was, the basses you can buy from SX are even better and even cheaper. Plus the stock SX pickups sound a LOT better. The Washburns do come with better strings tho :p

If you like the way the Washburn plays, I say go for it. They're solid instruments and will definately get you on the right track. Support with them has never been an issue for me if something does go wrong either.
  16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    The Washburns made in the 1980's were made in Japan and are really well constructed. I just picked up a 1980 Vantage bass made in same factory from a pawn shop for less than $100 that plays fine. Had the same doubts that you did but for the money I didn't see a big risk. People don't seem to willing to pay much money for them, but I think they provide great value.

See for more info on the Japanese guitars and basses from the 1980's.

I also switched from guitar to bass. I was actually OK on the chords but couldn't lead my way out of a paper bag. I wish I had switched years ago as I am enjoying the bass more than I ever did guitar. Fortunately, much of what I learned on guitar was helpful to learning the bass.