1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap way to a deep tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jhclark, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I don't need fancy features, just a 15" speaker and a way to turn the tone all the way down. Preferably in a sealed cabinet.

How much power do I really need? I tell you what, when I'm in my studio, my microTerror and matching 1x8 cab is pretty damn deep sounding. Is there a way to get that tone at a gig without breaking $250?

I found this on my local classifieds HARTKE HA3500 BASS AMP HEAD AND ANVIL CASE but I'm not sure if that's just a tube swap of symptom of component failure.

Any tips are massively appreciated!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    $250 for a head and a cabinet that goes deep? I assume you want the ability to roll-off most of the signal at about 1.2k Hz and be loud enough for a live performance, right?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. Dead tubes don't cause hiss.

4. The Anvil case is massively oversized for the amp and heavy to boot! i'd keep looking.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Why a 15" specifically?
    If you want deep lows at gig volume, you need a CABINET that is designed to go low at volume. There are plenty of 15's that can't deliver that. There are 2x10's that can. Low, loud and cheap isn't impossible, but shop all cabs, not just 15's; you may find something that fits the bill in a different configuration.
    Lots of speakers sound really good at low volume. Getting great low end at higher volumes usually does come at a bit of a premium, though. If you're handy and have some tools, you can beat the crap out of the bottom tier cabs by going DIY for the same money. You'd need to do a bit of research and learning, but well worth it if your budget is tight.

If your stage volume isn't all that loud and you use PA, could you use the rig you have now (that you like the sound of) and mic it? Can you get a matching speaker for it? That'll help get you the same sound a bit louder.

6. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    What I have been using belonged to the previous bassist in this band I'm in, and it was all abandoned. He surprised us on Sunday by stopping by to pick it all up (after 3 years of never speaking to anyone about it). It was vintage, not labeled, but a 15" speaker (and I am not saying ALL 15" are lower than all 2x10 but I compared the new Fender Rumble 200 (1x15) to the 500 (2x10) and the 15" had a deeper and rounder sound.)

The other "rig" I'm referring to is the Orange Micro guitar amp here Orange Micro Terror Head and PPC108 Cabinet | Sweetwater.com obviously I don't turn it up with a bass, I'd break the speaker cone, but without cranking the gain, it gets loud enough in my studio to record and get some nice tones. That's why I was thinking a tube pre and class D power (weight is an issue, that's why I was looking at the new Fender Rumble amps.)

I LOVE the sound of Ashdown, but even if I could afford it or find it used cheap, I'm not sure I could carry it around!

What kind of DIY are you referring to, @basscooker?

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    There are lots of free plans around the interwebz for cabs. Quite a few that parts cost is about what you'd pay for an OK "brand" cab, that will perform better than said "brand" cab. The popular goto is obviously a fEARful-- free plans. For a bit south of $500 you could DIY a crazy-awesome cab that kills about anything in the same price range from a major manufacturer. IIRC, BFM plans aren't free; BUT the builds don't cost huge coin. You still end up with a killer cab for less than the big companies' offerings. There are others, too, as well as build threads RIGHT HERE on Talkbass.
    You COULD download WinISD and use it to design your own box, too. There are box design programs that you can buy as well. It was just a thought, really.

Jhclark likes this.
  8. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    What does "deep" mean? Kind of an ambiguous question..

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  9. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Isn't this where all the old Peavey heads and cabs come into play? They are heavy as all get out but boomy and cheap.
    Or maybe the old TKO combos

lfmn16, slade and alaskaleftybass like this.
  10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I agree. I own some vintage Peaveys and they get DEEP.
    Edit: I never was able to get both loud and deep out of the TKO's but it might have been my bass...

11. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Well, the only Peavey I had was a 70's 350 Watt head and a 2x15 cab. Never played a TKO.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sounds like the Mark IV head?
    I was thinking, might have been my Ibanez bass on the TKO. Fenders are deeper sounding, I think.

13. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    By deep I mean Motown, country, flats-on-a-P sound.

I will look into constructing my own.

Also, I am thinking of using a preamp and power amp (preamp on the floor maybe?) if I go this route, do I need a bass guitar Power Amp or can I use a PA/DJ power amp to run my 1x15 or 2x15 cab?

My feeling is that DJs play music that has plenty of lows... Would I be better off with a pair of powered speakers and an ART TubeMP as a preamp?

I don't want HiFi, but I certainly don't want "sculpted" and "tone" you know? I just want the signal to come out how it came in, let the speaker do the talking.

14. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Ashdown mibass head (6 lbs) is on sale for $169 at the bass place, maybe that fits the amp part of the equation?

Deep tone at a gig though? Good subs in your PA, a vt bass pedal and a DI box might work quite well. For your stage monitor? Anything cheap and light, as your PA takes care of loud and deep, if needed.

One thing I've definitely learned- I am now cutting bass on my vt pedal. What sounds good in my in ears or at my stage amp is WAY too bassy and muddy when it hits the subs. The subs and the room (catering halls, etc), add plenty of low end. It was disturbing at first because flats are all I use and high end was not what I liked, but I got used to it and the audience hears it much better.

15. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I think you just want a bass amp, with it's compliment of controls taylored to bass. That should also give you best power for the dollar.

I have an acoustic B100 which can sound very deep with a neck pickup. Sealed, 15", 100W. But I also think it would barely be enough for a very small room though. I use it for practice. You should be able to get some good recommendations here.

Is that a glider? (Conway's life)

-

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  16. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    "deep" ????

Deep is a subjective term, and I would speculate would be influenced by the PA or other type of sound system/speakers you are listening to.

In a live setting, deep bass from your amp usually turns into mud for the listening audience.

For personal practice, perhaps deep will be your huckleberry.

At $250, I would look for a used 1-15 bass combo amp, if all you want is deep tone for personal taste.

I once owned a Fender Bassman 25 that I used at small gigs. I think it had a 10" speaker. I thought it had a very deep tone, which worked good in a small room with an acoustic band. One of my amps I use now has a 8" speaker and it sounds "deep".

Deep and loud, go with a pawn shop / Craig list, etc used combo.

17. Exactly. IMHO Deep =/= sealed.

mbelue and BigBobbyBass like this.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yeah, roll everything off above 1.2 kHz and most any rig will do that sound. How loud, how heavy, how big, and how expensive are you willing to go? —because for $250, you are looking at a used Peavey or Behringer cab or combo that weighs a lot, is bulky, and probably not super loud.

Any power amp having enough power for your needs is fine. Not every pedal/pre can do it, though.

All depends on which speakers. In general, DJ gear does not handle uncompressed and unfiltered electric bass transients well.

You want a boomy baked-in low-mid bump that is plenty loud for cheap. Right? How about a Behringer 410?

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Cheap way to a deep tone?

Turn up the bass knob on your amp

20. Clarence Walker

Clarence Walker Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Baltimore, Md
    Likewise, I bought a used Acoustic B200 combo for $200. It has a lot of eq control for going deep and is perfect for rehearsal and recording. Even used it for live work and it did OK. Plenty bottom.