1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheap ways to taurus pedal sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by origami, Aug 30, 2008.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    alrighty...

i have been thinking more and more about filling out the sound in my band with some keyboards (using my foot) while at the same time i play bass.

i own a juno g and a micro korg. i have been letting my singer use my juno G live to play the piano/organ/lead synth parts that either he or i play in the studio, but he says he feels silly on stage standing at the keyboard holding down one key for pedal tones. lead singers... what can you cay.

therefore i was thinking i could do the geddy lee and add those nice low notes and sweeps via midi possibly using my micro korg. now if i was a hobbit i could just put the microkorg on the ground and play with my toes but my feet are too big.

is there a cheaper alternative than buying one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-PK5A-Dynamic-Foot-Pedal-and-MIDI-Controller?sku=700734

or something else that does the stand alone taurus type pedal thing on the cheap? i tried the pitch hold on a syth pedal, but it really didn't always work well.

another odd question. could any midi foot pedal (like the ones used to change patches in an effects rack) be made to play a note on the keyboard? you can buy those used cheaper than one of those bsssyn things spelling?

2. cameric

cameric

Dec 31, 2007
    Yes - buy a PK-5 used!

I nabbed one for around 300 US, and I use it to good effect with my MicroKorg. A match made in heaven! You can get those Taurus-like rumbles (I have a Taurus I - this can get pretty close), but so much more! Octaves, hold features...just get it.

There are cheaper midi foot pedals out there (and yeah, most of them will work on most synths) - by studiologic etc. But the reviews I read when I was in the market suggested that they weren't anywhere near as versatile, especially considering the savings weren't really that significant.

There is a cheap button controlled foot synth out there (a quick search of the forum should point the way), but man, if you've got the microkorg, it would be a real shame not to unlock its full potential in a multi-instrumental set-up. The PK-5 lets you do just that - you definitely need a copy of the instruction manual, but once you get to grips with it, it's amazing.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  4. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Or if you're looking for just the Taurus Bass sound....

http://www.basyn.com/

Just ordered one to play around with and add some of those low analog filter sweeps to my low end...

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
  6. Taurusmoo

Taurusmoo

Apr 15, 2008
    Sweden
    I second the Roland PK-5, it's easy to use and can take a beating. I use it together with a Roland SH-32 virtual analogue synth module and it sounds Taurus:ish enough. I guess you'll do fine with PK-5 and a MicroKorg.

Personally though, I've become kind of obsessed with getting a GOOD Taurus sound, so I'm saving up a few nickels'n'dimes for a Moog Little Phatty to go with the PK-5. ( That way I can sneak in a few Geddy-ish lead lines too ;-) )

A bit of thread hijacking, sorry: As the synth market can be a bit mindboggling, has anyone got other suggestions for a good - and affordable - Taurus sound generator besides the LP?
    A table or rack model is good, a keyboard model even better...and a multitimbral, splitable keyboard model with good enough poly that lets me play PK-5 bass, pad and lead simultaneously is the best. As we probably are talking true analog or very good VA the last option is probably way above my budget. I can still dream about it though :)