Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap, yet efficient ways of soundproofing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Nov 5, 2004.

1. So our friend Jeremy is moving back and he's a drummer and we want to soundproof this mini garage in the back of Luke's house so we can jam when he gets back and not have his neighbors complain - Problem is, we don't have much money to go buy professional stuff and soundproof the whole place. So I was wondering, is there any cheap, yet efficient way of soundproofing? Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. Anything cheap won't really work perfectly, though it'll help. Mattresses on all the walls, heavy carpet on floors and ceilings....glass windows must be completely covered and sealed.

A few years back I did a search on soundproofing and discovered how difficult (and expensive) it can get. So depending on your needs, maybe the mattresses or carpets can help if you don't need absolute silence. Google "soundproofing" or something to that effect. See if you can find an article from a soundproofing firm that described how they did a garage for a band. They must've spent 20 grand. Sorry but I don't remember the URL.

3. Not playing? :D

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    We use egg cartons back home. Just collect a bunch of 'em and paste them to the walls/ceiling in any manner you want. For best result we put up two layers of heavy carpeting, then the egg cartons on top, which also saved the walls from being made into a mess. For the floor we just covered it in heavy carpets. Make sure you can close it up nice n tight as well, as that'll help cut down the sound leakage. If you do that and they still complain it's too loud, TURN DOWN. Quiet practices are more beneficial IMO anyway, as you hear the fu*ks up better.

Ray

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Be careful, though. That eggcrate is not flame retardant.

6. Foam.

Lots and lots of Foam.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    We actually did have trouble with that. Our solution was to actually just dip them in a paint. I know sounds dumb, but one, it makes the room look better afterwards, and does work (it DOES NOT make them anywhere near flame retardant, but signifigantlly slows down how fast they burn, and how hot they can get before actually causing a flame). I think our total cost for the paint though ended up being a tad on the expensive side, something around $300. Just a suggestion though. You can keep them un painted, but do keep as much heat away as possible, and if the room will cross something like 110 degrees, well, make sure it doesnt. Practice common sense, i.e. keeping amps and hot things away from it and direct light off it etc. etc.

Ray

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    High-density foam! Like, the stuff that is hard as rock high density. You can buy it in huge sheets that are about 2-4 inches thick at home depot.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Be very careful with foams. Some are flame retardant and some aren't. The stuff you buy at music stores for sound proofing is flame retardant, but the stuff used as packing material isn't. Choose carefully since you don't want to turn your home into a fire trap.

10. Well, I was talking with Jeremy last night and in this mini garage, there is the garage portion, then 2 seperate rooms. The one in the back has no windows and the only door leading out is into the main garage part, so we are thinking of moving everything out of there and jamming in that room. It would be easier to soundproof and it puts more space between us and the neighbors.

This sounds interesting. How well does it work and generally how much does it go for?

11. Plate styrofoam insulation. You can get it very easily, and it doesn't cost much (about $1-2 per sheet, sheets are 2'x4') They are supposed to be fire resistant, which means you can still light 'em up, but not as easily. They are great sound reducers (around 35-50 dB, depending on the frequency) plus you can paint them without spending alot.

Rock on
    Eric

12. Have any idea where we can get this stuff at? I'm talking to Jeremy (the drummer) right now and he said that'd be a good idea if we can get it for that cheap and throw a double layer on.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for bringing this up! i would think this would be something that a lot of musicians
    should think about, not all, but i would think the majority of bands have at least one smoker - i could be wrong, though

:)

14. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that...especially at Luke's house since his mom would kill us (literally) if she ever caught us smoking.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;)

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I have an even better idea! Make the room air tight, and put your drummer in there. Then suck out all the air. He'll quit being so loud! Vacuum doesn't transmit sound, so you can't even hear him scream! Wow, I am awesome! ;) :smug: :rolleyes:

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The construction fee was $500 to soundproof a new room that was built in my basement, aside from the costs of building the room itself. If the room is already built, it's going to be a little harder... we were able to stuff the insides of the walls with sound abosrbing insulation materials and then sandwhich that with a fiber board material with sheetrock on top.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just drive around town looking for matresses, couch cushions, and carpets that are left on the curb for garbage pick up.

Pop those things up on the wall and its all good.

Just dont touch the mystery stains.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Riff raff?

20. And in the hot summer some of those stains will start to smell real gooooodddddd. blahhhhh, I just creeped myself out.

If your very handy, they make commercial grade sound proof drywall. You can put up the foam and then re-drywall the whole room. The hardest part is recessing the the electical outlets and switches. Sound's hard but I'm an idiot and I can do a small room in a few hours. Then acoustic tile on the ceiling , carpet the floor and your set.

When your done the room will look the same just "Smaller"