Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Jan 15, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    what is a good amp that is cheap aswell, im looking for 100 watts or more, not too much more, something small, combo perhaps. i know there is alot of threads on this but ill post this anyway, im not looking for big brand name SWR stuff but i dont want acme (not available in aust i dont think) hartke are alright but i heard there are some cheapish combos from other people.
    later
    Lukas

2. Check out carvin, they make a pretty cheap 100 watt combo and its really nice. Also look on ebay.

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    im in australia, all prices are doublled, this carvin thing is only about $800 though, nice buy, heard a bit about them. what does everyone (not everyone but you know) think about them, versatile?? good sound for the moneys worth and all that??
    later
    Lukas

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Crate. If you weren't in Australia, I'd talk you into buying my Hartke Kickback 12, 120 watts.

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i heard crate are expensive, and in australia they would be real expensive, given im only 15 i am on a limited budget, well carvin and peavey are looking good now.
    later
    Lukas

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Crates are amoung the least expensive combos you can find around here. They are a pretty good value.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    carvin, crate, peavey are the cheapest combos i can think of. i haven't played a carvin 100 combo but i have played the pb200 [160 @ 8ohms bridged or 80/80 @ 4 ohms] and liked it. Crate-no opinion haven't played em. peavey-liked some hated others. all in what you want/can afford. thats all

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well im now checking aout crate and their site looks good, quite a bit of info in there. i gtg now but im gonna cruise to the music store and ask them aswell. thanks for the help....
    Later
    Lukas

9. I am in the same boat as Ashton as I am currently searching for an amp 100w or up (I'm also in Australia).

So far I've found a couple of items including the Carvin 100w amp which is about $800. There are more second hand items available though, a few weeks back I saw a Peavey 150watt amp advertised in the local paper for $500, I haven't a clue how old it was or what condition it was in but second hand may be the way to go (if you can get a good deal).

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Cambass, i have looked everywhere and the only things ive found are Peavey and Crate(in our price ranges, theyre the same). my guitar/bass teacher has a crate and it sounds very nice on guitar/bass, but thats using no effects. ive used Peavey in a store with effects and it was great, now these were both gu!tar amps not bass, now unless you wanna go to Jade amps (australian brand...claim to be not hard to tell theyre Korean) peavey or crate it is for me, my guitarrist has a peavey and it is awesome for the music that i play (they wanna play deftones, pantera, SoAD and stuff like that but my roots are punk and jazz.)
    good luck in choosing, anymore Q's just post them.

later
    Lukas

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im also in the same boat as ashton and Cambass...the australian dollar is really bad..
    But Look in the trading post (I dont know if you have it there). I found a Peavy 300 Watt for about $700 Australian that is. Just that ive only got $200 in my bank so it was outta my range.:mad:

12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    ya i looked at the trading post, i was gonna buy a gibson bass from there once. im only buying localy here so i just look.
    later
    Lukas