Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheaper 2x12: MM or Avatar or?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ddayseb, Mar 18, 2003.

1. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi there. I've read up on what people here and in other places think is the best bet to push a B string well with a single cab, and it looks like a 2x12 is the way to go for me. Problem is, I don't have the money for a great 212 from Demeter or something, so I was curious if people could share their experiences about the 212's from Ernie Ball and Avatar, how they sound, how tough, how loud, low freq. response, transient response w/r/t having a bigger speaker, etc. Also, if folks think there are 2x12's made by other people that I should be looking at, I'd be curious to hear those, too. For reference, I'm playing a G&L L2500 (which I've considered switching for a Reverend Brad Houser) into a GK 800RB (" " Acoustic 370 :rolleyes: ).

Thanks for listening,
    Seb

2. Cheaper? You mean, like sub par material and shoddier build? Get what you pay for.
    Those EB-MM HD212's were sort of the exception with their blow-out price of $299 new. Strong as ox and speak with authority. Yowza.

3. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    The Avatar 2x12 is treating me well. I use it with a 2x10 for a medium-loud blues/funk/rock trio. 450watts into each. No PA support. The Avatar replaced 2 Acme B2s and I have not looked back. I haven't tried it without the 2x10s though. I'll have to try that at a smaller place sometime.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you can get the Musicman at the blowout price, go for it.......they are very nice cabs that have no problems handeling Low B! Very well made!

5. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On the topic of workmanship, I've heard things from people about the MM 212's being rather cheaply built in southeast Asia, and they are of course not plywood. Have folks had negative experiences because of these two factors? Is the first negligible? Is the second not really important?

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't know where you get your information, but my MM 2x12 and 2x10 were made in the USA, and are some of the most heavy-duty, best constructed cabs I've ever seen. The MM cabinets are "cheap" only because they have been discontinued.The original list price on the 2x12 was over $1000.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The speakers are made by a very good Italian speaker company.......and the cabs are rock solid!

8. I believe the EB-MM HD212's to have been completely assembeled in Italy by B&C but it would make more sense if it was just the speakers.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My MM 2x10 is very sturdy. Impressive build quality, especially considering the low cost.:cool:

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you look on the back of your cabinets it says "Made in USA".

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The speakers, as components, are made by B&C in Italy. The cabs are made and assembled in the USA.

12. where are these blowout deals?

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  14. Dang...so many? I am tempted to buy another!

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I've been tempted too.

16. thanks for the link

no warranty is not a good thing.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    When I bought mine there was a warranty, and no shipping charge. I wouldn't worry about the no warranty thing, I didn't even bother to register mine. The cabinets are well made. In my 30 years of buying musical equipment, I have never had occasion to use a speaker cabinet warranty.