1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheaper alternative to BJF Blueberry

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by open_space, Sep 26, 2008.

1. You fill find some clips of BJF Blueberry in this thread: http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472454&page=2

Originally I was looking for a good fuzz, but I must say that BJF sounds great. Now, I know that they are hard to find and very expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative to Blueberry that will sound close?

2. No alternatives?

3. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    what you read about the pedal is that no other sounds quite like it (I havenĀ“t seen or heard one myself).

you can get it from http://www.custom-sounds.com/ in finland... the price is 295€ on the website, but they quoted me for 255€ with a waiting time of 1 month.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I've not tried anything that sounded quite like it. Some CHEAPER things I am considering looking at for drive include: Penny Pedals DS-1 Bass, and the Badder Bass Monkey.

5. what about Fulltone Bassdrive?

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Bassdrive is rightly well regarded, but pretty far off from the Blueberry. The BJFE rolls off the highs, is focused in the deep lows and is a very "heavy" sounding overdrive where the Bassdrive has a mid-hump (I believe it started as a Tubescreamer clone) with a brighter, sharper sound.

7. What if you turn the tone knob down on Fulltone?

Does anybody know what BJF circuit is based on?

8. BJF circuits are pretty much his own. Hence the cost and "rare-ness" of similar pedals...

9. I haven't gotten to hear a Blueberry live... As for the Fulltone, it does have a hump in the mids... in Vintage mode... It's a classic Tubescreamer voiced for bass. In Flat Mids mode, it's got a more even tone. And in Comp Cut mode it's a clean boost with PLENTY of gain (and between the Overdrive and Boost channels, you can actually get some light, transparent drive that I like just as much or more than the actual drive modes!). Anyway, from what people are saying, it's not gonna be a cheaper "version" of the Blueberry... But it's a great pedal, so don't rule it out as an alternative!

Brian

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Get the message already! If there was a cheaper or more common alternative that was close, we wouldn't be making such a big deal about the Blueberry. There are lots of great bass overdrives on the market, and lots of threads recommending, explaining, and comparing them, with a fair amount of soundclips.

But none of them sound quite like the Blueberry.

The BJF circuit is (more or less) original- I can tell you one of the clipping elements is a pair of LED's, but other than that it is not itself a clone that you could just quickly whip up from a commonly-available schematic.

11. that's too bad :bawl: I was hoping to save some money ;)

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Hematoma sounded similar back in the Blueberry vs Hematoma vs Fulltone Bassdrive thread. Not the same, but maybe close enough for you!

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Link?

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    thanks. an interesting reveiw

15. buy a soundcity or simm watts head and crank the **** out of it?

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, it's from nad's review, one of the better ones in TBFX in my opinion.

That said, having owned both, I don't think they sound similar. The Hematoma has a good deal more "buzzy" character to it, though in a warm way.

The Blueberry is such a fat, grunty sound and MUCH more responsive to your attack.

I liked both of those pedals (though I've since sold the H.B.E) but someone hoping to cop one's tones with the other is going to be disappointed.

17. cabo

cabo

Nov 22, 2007
    a side note for those interested,,the bjf honey bee was inspired by the 3BOD if I remember correctly, lots of fat tube warmth,,makes sense as the HB does a great Supro, small pushed tweed amp sound. btw way I saw them in stock a couple days ago at customsounds,,,no affiliation of course.

18. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I think I said this somewhere else, but I got vaguely close to some of the sounds with a DIY DOD 250 modded for LED clipping and decently heavy lowpasss filtering on the end.

Didn't have the range of tone, or the gradual breakup... but I seem to recall it was sort of in the ballpark of some of the sounds. Not really a replacement, but it might be worth thinking about or trying out for a cheap drive pedal.

19. Also, not really the same sound, but very popular in itself, is the Polish Love Pedal. It might be worth checking out. It costs around $90 and you can choose from a range of colour and LED options.

I only recently picked one up, but it seems like a nice OD so far. I'll be replacing my Blueberry with it for a while.