1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheaper alternative to flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cambass, Jun 2, 2001.

1. I have recently converted my bass into a fretless and have been told that I should buy some flatwound strings so as not to greatly damage the fretboard. The only problem is the price, I asked a few shops yesterday and none of them had any in stock but could order them but the prices they gave me ranged from $75 to $150 (Australian dollars). This is way too expensive for my modest budget so I was wondering, is there a cheaper alternative to flatwound strings, that would be suitable for a fretless bass? Or is it possible to buy cheap flatwounds?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dang! That's like ~$38 to ~$76 USD :eek:. I think
    somebody's pullin' your....leg :p

Maybe try Just Strings. They're bassed in the U.S.,
    but have international shipping. They have Fender
    flats for ~33 AUD, Ernie Ball flats for ~44 AUD,
    GHS ~44 AUD, etc. Sheetmusic Plus is another
    online dealer with good prices.

I bet Merls (merlin) could help ya out...I think he
    dwells somewhere down yonder :) .

3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    See Herm's post on strings for sale.
    Doc

4. Thanks for the replies, I also found an Australian online string site but they didn't have as much range. The prices on juststrings.com were quite cheap even when converted to Aus $$ although it said that there was a $36US shipping charge for international orders which then makes the price just as much as it is here!