1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheaper amps for duel style pickup setup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CountGrishnackh, May 9, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, first post! I've enjoyed reading alot of posts on this forum for a couple months now, you guys provide help for alot of people. I will likely be asking a question you guys get every day, but I just want to be sure for my particular setup.

So, I have a upright bass with a K&K bass master rockabilly plus system on the bass, but I lack the most important part-An amp. This setup has the mini blender box.
    The price range is between 300-500. Looking for a combo that would fit the bill, for band practice and small gigs. The style most closely resembles psychobilly, though I doubt this has much to do with choosing an amp.

Anyway, any ideas about amps that would work well with the pickups the bass has? Thanks so very much, looking forward to the responses.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    CountGrishnackh

Unless you can get Markbass amplifiers at a better price the SWR Workingman's Series is probably the best value for the price.
    It would be helpful to all of us for you to fill out you're user profile
    with more information. That way we can give you a better informed answer. The GK 150 would also work but I don't know if you can find one on ebay for that price, unless you are very lucky.

In all the cases above, I'm a little worried that the power of the GK or the SWR's is less than you will require, unless you are runing a line to the house or the mains.

Ric Vice

3. I was also wondering how good of sound I could get by going poweramp route, like a 4-600w power amp and a 4X12 by behringer or something...would I need a preamp?

4. I had great service from a Nemesis 210 combo. The smaller Nemesis Silver series 2 x 8 is also very nice.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For your price range and what you're doing, you might find and old Peavey 15" TNT.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Here's a picture of the newer ones. I think that they double as a floatation device. But they are certianly durable.

Ric Vice

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you're trying to stay on top of boiling lead, perhaps. Ever carry one of these up a flight of stairs? :)

8. I've heard good things about the Eden Nemesis...the TNT looks pretty cool as well. I'll have to look into these for sure. Also, I see these newer SWR WorkingPro amps comming out too, the 12" 200w is in the price range as well.

9. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Welcome Count Grishnackh.

I just can't reccomend the Yorkville stuff more. All their stuff is KILLIN'!!, sounds fantastic, durable, very reasonably priced and has the best warranty in the business. Check out this combo amp (or any of their amps for that matter)
    http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=197

I think they blow SWR away.

BTW, I've used that Peavey on the road a couple of times and while it has pretty good sound for the money, it's a 'hernia in a box'.

Good luck, BG

10. A lot of the guys over at Rockabillybass.com really go for the Ashdown MAG series amps and Avatar cabs for a decent sounding, fairly loud rig on a budget. You might want check over there:

http://www.rockabillybass.com/phpBB/