cheaper good bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by insane XXX, Jul 15, 2005.

1. insane XXX

insane XXX

Feb 18, 2005
    hello all double bass players i have a nice fun question for eveybody that they probly get asked daily. ive been playing 6 years now and have 2 years of high school left and my parents are already like 100% sure they are going to buy me my own upright for graduation. my question is were can i find one that plays nice. id rather it play nice than look nice but everyone knows that that counts too :p so does anyone have any suggestions? i dont want a starter student bass with 3 inch action though >_< i think they are looking to spend a couple grand maybe.
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Hi there--

Well, first take a look at the newbie links, if you haven't already.

For $2k, it's pretty clear that you'd TYPICALLY be looking at buying a nice laminate or maybe even a hybrid.

It would help if you would fill out your profile. Where do you live? Many of us can offer a number of good suggestions (and, as far as I can tell, none of us is shy about doing so!).
  3. We need to know where you are located to better help you. Plus the newbie links have info on Strunal, Christopher, Shen and a few other basses in the price range you are interested in. With the newer basses you'll need a good set up so be prepared to spend a few hundred extra along with the price of the bass. Just play as many basses as you can get your hands on, even ones that are over your head price wise. That will help you make the best choice possible.

Good luck,
  4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Considering you play in school, I am assuming this bass would need to work well for both pizz and arco?
  5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    For around 2K you can pick up an Eberle Carved from or one of Bob's Bulgarians.

I have a carved Eberle. It's well built, but a little quiet. But there probably won't be any left in 2 years.

What I did for my Tuba was to ask the Professor where I was attending music school what he recomended.
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I think he meant

In my experience, in the $2k price range, a well made hybrid or even a laminate often surpasses, in many important respects, what are often marginally constructed fully carved models. I have no first-hand experience with the Eberle or Bob's Bulgarians and offer no informed opinion with regard to those basses specifically. mike da mook's comment about playing a variety of basses is quite wise.
    I have had one of the fully carved Bulgarian basses for two months now. :) Rather than repeat my quite favorable comments about it, please see my posts in the thread at the link above. There is also much information on the Eberles as well.

Two years is planning way ahead, but if you are seriously shopping, you should be able to narrow it down to 2 or 3 types of pretty nice basses that are available at around $2K. With that much time to work with, just get out there and try to see, hear, and play some carved top instruments.