1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheaper Leather Strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I just had this conversation with my mother:
    Mom: So you need a strap for that bass now?
    Me: Yeah, I've been looking into it and found these leather straps for $10--
    Mom:**you're talking crazy look** You get what you pay for, you need a better strap than that.
    Me: I'm going to uni in the fall, I'll need to buy books.
    Mom: You a parents to pay for that.
    Me: I'm trying to be sensible!
    Mom: And I'm telling you to buy a strap that will last for years.

I have never in my life been so glad that my mother hates April's Fools. I want to cap the price at $40 and no more then 3 inches thick. Does Levy's cheaper straps still have the great quality I keep hearing about?

2. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
  3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've got a GHS strap that's been on my bass for years! Nothing fancy, but it holds my bass where I want it.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've bought some really solid straps on Ebay in the $20 range. Just get heavy enough leather that the ends will stay stiff and hold the strap buttons.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I spent about $75 on a good Levi's strap about 8 years ago. Bases came and went, but the strap remained. The only reason i retired it was a desire for a little strange.

Spend the money. Get a decent strap.

6. andysick

andysick Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Annapolis Valley, NS
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^Coach and Couch are two very different names.

Another reminder that spelling matters.

Personally, I can't stand vinyl straps. I own one because my daughters gave it to me for Christmas. I wear it only when I'm using a very light bass and I know they will see it.

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Franklin Leather straps are nice and in that price range. Thought about buying one the other day but I just can't part with my Neotech.

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I've bought a few used 4" Italia leather straps in like-new condition on TB, for $35 or $40 each, so 3" or 2.5" would be that much cheaper. I love these straps. Much nicer than Levy's IMHO. Nice soft but thick leather, and the inside is suede which I love, so the bass stays where I put it.

10. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Check out Italia straps, they always have a two for one deal going. Check the TB classifieds under accessories, for used Italia straps as well.

I can see how some folks like the neotechs, and I tried one. It didn't work for me since they stretch, and they smell like neoprene, which is what they are.

A good leather strap with some extra length will last forever, you can just cut new holes as they wear.

11. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Mom is right. Invest in a good strap and get a good set of straplocks. The straplocks will keep the ends from stretching and wearing out. I have a couple of REALLY nice leather straps. They have the Fender logo, but I think they were made by Levy's. I put a set of locks on them and the only reason I'll ever have to replace them is if I lose them.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Mom is right.
    Listen to your mother.
    My Levy strap is 12 years old and still in great shape.