1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheaper to fix truss rod or get a new neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zane DeBord, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Hey all,

I have a mim fender jazz with a stripped truss rod nut, and I have no idea if the truss rod even works anymore. Does it make more finanical sense to get it repaired, or find a new neck for it?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm saying new neck unless you can repair it yourself

OOD and Zane DeBord like this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    IMHO... unless you can uncover a few threads on the rod (or cut a few new ones, see the Stew-Mac Truss Rod Rescue kit) or something relatively simple... get a new neck.

Zane DeBord likes this.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fender necks are cheap enough to replace. Got my Mighty Mite neck for $110 new from MF.

5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    I have an American Jazz in which the truss rod is maxed out, a tech told me just no when I asked him if he could take it apart and fix it, by that I assume it's quite a job and expensive.

6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    The fretboard has to be removed, and in most cases is destroyed in the process and a new fretboard has to be made for it. Usually not bothered with unless the bass is neck through. Geddy Lee didn't have his '72 neck fixed, he slapped a CIJ sig neck on it and went on tour, then later had the custom shop build him a neck.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    This. If it is just a stripped nut, perhaps there is hope. A maxxed out or busted rod itself is another story.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It makes sense to get it properly diagnosed by an expert so you have facts and real world costs to compare versus worry-induced hypothetical scenarios.

To put it in perspective you could buy an entire MIM jazz bass on the used market for the cost of a new replacement neck with a new nut and a fret level & dress. You may be able to find a used MIM neck online but that comes with its own set of risks and additional costs even if you know what to look for.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's more likely that the truss rod nut is stripped than the truss rod itself. A new truss rod nut is inexpensive, so it might be worth replacing that first - it may fix your problem with little outlay. If the new nut doesn't work you aren't out a lot of cash. If you are unsure about this course of action I recommend taking the bass to a good tech and get an estimate to fix it.

10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Work from the simple to the complex.

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    There is also a thread here about a tinkerer that knew no better and found a way to replace a 'head stock adjustment truss rod' from the heel that actually worked rather well.