Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheapest 5 string J pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 2, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so my dearmonds pickups are totally not hot enough to pickup the B string, or something else wierd is going on.

anyways, if i decide to keep this bass, it's gonna need some new pickups, but it's just my backup bass, so all they has to do is make the B string able to be heard. they don't even need to be humbucking, just reverse wound. i never do anything other than 50/50 blend.

any ideas?

jason

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bueller?
    bueller?

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    IMO your wasting your time looking for "cheap" pickups. Thats what you have now why would you want to waste your time and money. What are you calling cheap and what style of pup is it. Im not being a jerk but if you do a pickup change to some quality stuff it may not be your backup bass anymore.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Excellent advice, Stik!!! Kind of chasing one's tail.

Otherwise, you might consider $50 Carvin J99's. They are powerful, J-style, single coils. Or else you might try the local music stores who do repairs or the pawn shops. They often have a shoebox with orphaned pickups.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't need this bass to sound great, i just need it to be able to pick up the b string, and was wondering if any place made bargain pickups.

they're 5 string J pickups.

or...should i just get new pickups for my warwick and put the MEC's into my dearmond, to get a little more bang for the buck?

jason

6. try Mighty Mite, i don't know the website, but do a google search.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You mean even cheaper than the ones that are already in there? You aren't going to solve the problem of cheap pickups by getting cheap pickups. You can get some fairly decent ones for around $50 in the right places. I got a set of BassLines P-Bass Quarter Pounders for $46 (half price) at GC.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Poor B string response may not be the pickups anyway. You probably already know that B string performance can change drastically with different strings and sometimes even just some EQ (I had a Fender MIA Jazz V Dlx that had a useless B string until I goosed the MIDRANGE of the onboard EQ, suddenly it came to life...very non intuitive :rolleyes:

I am no fan of swapping out parts (see the MM pickup thread) and would suggest you exhaust all your other alternatives FIRST.

As far as "cheap" pickups, as others have said you have cheap pickups in a cheap bass...no surprise the B string sucks. I held off on a 5 for many years for that reason, I could never find one under a grand that was worth having. That has changed a bit (now I'd set the bar at about $500).

9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I am a fan changing out parts because IME you can truly change the performance of a bass by doing things like a pup swap, preamp,bridge etc basically hot rodding it. Rarely is anything stock the best of everything and I think most people fail to see what can really be done even to what some would call a low buck bass. Amp settings really do play a big part in that b string but so do the other factors of the bass itself. A b string really tends to bring out the shortcomings in a bass or a rig for that matter and to get a good sound you must have a good chain and it starts with the basics, strings, bridge, pups etc... Do yourself a favor and and dont go cheap, Email me, I have a buddy thats a luthier and can get great deals on pups and stuff. What style of music do you play?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

brianrost's good input made me think of something that I totally forgot about, although it does suspect the pups as the prime suspects.

What I'm talking about is checking the bass's sonic balance. When you notice a marked drop in B-string volume, take some kind of small object containing iron, such as a paper clip. At the height of the B, move the iron/ferrous object over the pickup and see if the area over the B lacks the magnet pull of the other strings. If there is a noticeably weaker pull or no pull towards the pickup, it's the pickup -

unforuntately, the cheapest solution is a new pup.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup...i did that. the magnet starts at the beginning of the E string. that's why i want new ones that work :)

jason